05 FR Cardinal 32' travel trailer

cardinal1

Hello. Not really new to the trailer life, but new to the "new" trailer life. We have always had campers from the 60's, which are pretty great for what they are, so this 2005 is quite awesome in it's presence. (to me anyways, lol) We are full timers for almost a year now, and travel from North to South for the seasons. We bought this trailer in February. A couple of questions about this particular model if anyone has one or knows anything- For reference, it is out of warranty.
1- The shower seems to be poorly sealed so it leaks water onto the floor, from under the glass wall part. The sealant that was around the inside bottom of the shower (from the factory) was peeling away. We removed the old stuff & resealed it with the recommended silicone sealant, but it only lasted a week before it started peeling away again. We pre cleaned and let it dry for a few days before doing it, as per instructions by service dept of a local dealer. Any suggestions on what we did wrong, or maybe another kind of sealant that works better? (The service dept couldn't answer this for some reason. They said they could do it for a nice fee though...)
2- Another thing happened when we were towing, and blew a tire. The entire fender skirt was destroyed by the tire flapping. We were at about 55MPH, maybe less since we were cresting a long hill, and took less than 3/4 mile to get off the road and stopped after it blew. The insulation underneath was ripped out, the copper tubing that runs along that area was bent, and the wiring for the marker light was severed, but luckily it was just for the one marker lite. After a month of waiting, we just finally got the new skirt from FR, and have to rewire the lite to make it work. The copper tubing was easy to straighten, and not much fuss. We will be adding some insulation to the area where it is gone also. Anyone else have this happen, and is there anything else we should check before putting the skirt and such back on?
3- One last thing, it has 2 doors, and the rear door is our main entrance, so this seems odd- The front door seems to have a good seal, opens easily, and closes nice and tight, but in a good rain storm, it leaks water at the top of the door like we have the door open. Water runs down the inside of the door/window, and I have been lucky to catch it before it soaks the carpet, and put towels down to collect water. There is a "gutter" from the factory over the top, and that seems to be moving the water away from the door. The roof/ceiling is not leaking either. We can't figure out why it is leaking like this. Should we just put a new door seal on and see what happens, or is there another solution? We have used a hose to try and replicate the problem, but can't get it to leak that way. Only when it rains does it do this. Any ideas??? Should we take it in for the smoke test? I am very baffled by this one.
As far as overall quality goes, it seems good, but for the cost of the thing, should be a little better. We bought it lightly used from a couple who didn't have enough truck to tow it, and felt it was cheaper for them to get a smaller trailer rather than a bigger truck. They bought it new, used it 3 times, and stored it in their rv shed until we took delivery. There is no rust or anything like that, and we have been pretty regular with cleaning and checking everything as needed. Most of the other components seem to be fine as of now. We like the spaciousness, and that it is a lot like a small house with all of the amenities it has.
Anyway, I apologize for the long tedious post, and any suggestions and all help are greatly appreciated! :)

C Nash

Re: 05 FR Cardinal 32' travel trailer

Wow Cardinal1 sounds as though you may have one of the Cardinals all have been talking about. The door leak could be coming from another place and just enter there. if it's the seal you should be able to usa a bright flash light at night an have someone shine from the inside with door closed and watch outside for any light. You really need to get this checked as damage can be done quick. Might also just try putting a sheet of paper where the leak comes in the door and with the door shut see if you can pull it out. As for the shower have you looked to see if the floor is giving while walking around or in the shower? The leak at the door could have already damaged the flooring if it's in the general area or close. Get it checked out pronto. Welcome to the forum

cardinal1

Thanks for the info and welcome! This is the best forum I have seen yet, so I registered. Such a wealth of info and experience here. We are taking it another service place on Monday, which is about 1.5hrs away (one way), and are going to let them check everything that can be checked and do the rewiring and fender skirt, and also reseal the shower, check the door and roof to find the leaking spot, and such things as that. This is a different service dept, and they seem very nice and knowledgable, and their service rate is reasonable. We had the roof checked and cleaned/resealed about a month after we bought it and before we came back up North, and I am thinking that maybe the service tech who did it may have caused the problem while working without realizing. Looking back, the problem started shortly after that, since we had a few major storms before it was done and it wasn't leaking. The previous owners made sure the dealer they bought it from had the rust proofing done before delivery, so all looks good there. After crawling around under the thing, which is no easy task, I couldn't see/feel anything off kilter as far as any warping, soft spots, or spots that look damp or whatever, but we are having them pull the insulation anyway to make sure. They will be checking the entire floor structure to be safe. We will be "homeless" for a few days, so a hotel will be kind of fun as a change. It will cost us some $$, but I would rather have any problems addressed now before they turn into something major (and we become the proud owners of a certified piece of garbage, ha ha). We are probably going to trade up to a motorhome sometime in near future. We are thinking about a used Winnebago Vectra or similar. A dear friend has one, and it has been stellar for him, the diesel pusher gets decent mileage and plenty of power. But with fuel prices as they are, we haven't decided yet. Oh decisions, decisions! Thanks again, and happy camping to all! I will keep you posted on what transpires!

DL Rupper

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Too bad you didn't read the thread on Forest River Problems. Hope you get it fixed ok. :)

Kirk

1) I suggest that you remove all caulking and then use compressed air to blow out all of the moisture as carefully as you can. I would then use a hair dryer to make sure that no moisture remains at all in the leaking area. Once that is done, use a quality tub & tile caulk to seal it and apply a bead first that you use your finger to press under the frame as far as you can. You may even want to slip a knife or something under it to lift it to get more under it. Fill that gap as much as you can, then clean off any excess. Follow that with a second bead that will cover the place that the two come together and make a nice neat appearance. To get a nice straight bead, use masking tape made for painting and once the caulk is about 1/2 cured, remove the tape.

2) It isn't uncommon for a blown tire to cause damage to an RV. That is not a good commentary on RV designs, but it is pretty common. About all that you can do is to reroute what you can to get clear of the wheel wells, and what you can't reroute, put into some metal conduit that you can find at any building supply store to protect it.

3) I would first try and insure that the water is entering through the door opening and not leaking from the frame via some leak and following the trailer frame to the door. It is important to make sure of the source of that leak. If you are absolutely certain that the leak is through the entry door, you can verify that by placing some paper towels into the top of the door frame and see if the get wet. It sounds to me as though your door does not fit the opening properly. Does it close in the same way at all points around the door frame? Adding or replacing the door seal may help, but it is probably not the best answer unless there is some defect in the factory seal. I would look for some way to adjust the fit, or perhaps to adjust the door latch to hold it more tightly.

cardinal1

Wow, you folks are great! The trailer is currently at the service dept, and they called us last night to let us know that there is no rot, rust, or anything like that in the floor or structure. They did a smoke test and (luckily) found a very small gap in the door seal which they fixed. The tech thinks it was caused by the roof reseal person leaving the door open as he worked and leaning something on it. (that is what we thought also) They are going to do another smoke test on it Tuesday to make sure everything is tight. They are also going to clean, dry, and reseal the shower and try to get it so it will not leak anymore. After that, a detail to make sure there is no lingering odor or fumes from the tests/repairs. They were so nice as to give us a "loaner" trailer to stay in so we wouldn't have to do a motel. (It is an older Terry in good shape, and we are very thankful to them for that.) Anyway, the trailer should be ready for pickup Wednesday afternoon, or Thursday AM at the latest. I will let you know how it turns out. Thanks to everyone for the wonderful support and advice!!!

C Nash

Sounds like you have a dealer that really cares about the customer :) . Great news and keep us posted. All rvs require regular service.

DL Rupper

Hope you have 16 inch tires. If so you need to replace the tires with steel belted Michelins (Michelin XPS RIB).

C Nash

Can you believe :eek: DL didn't recomend a Dogde to tow with :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :evil:

H2H1

He probably sent him an PM and made that suggestion. :laugh: :laugh: :approve: but of course it has to be a diesel :approve:

cardinal1

The dealer has been great! Everything is fine, they put on the new fender and rewired the marker lite, put in the insulation where it was pulled out when the tire blew, pulled out all of the insulation underneath to make sure that everything was as it should be (which it is. no rust, leaks, soft spots, etc.) The door seal gap is fixed with the testing complete. Shower is resealed, and they gave it a full detail at no cost. It is like a new trailer again. We are happy again!!
BTW- We tow with a Chevy... Hope we are still welcome :laugh: Thanks to everyone for the awesome advice and support!!!!!