12 volt adapters

Jinglehorse

Hi, I'd like to make my horse trailer front space more livable and I'm getting it wired for 110 electrical usage, additional outlets for 12 volt and battery storage for 12 volt. So I'd like to know if I buy 110 appliances, ie, coffee maker, small frig and small microwave, can I use an adapter to switch over to 12 volt if I'm not plugged in?

Triple E

Re: 12 volt adapters

Are you talking about taking your 12 volts DC and inverting it to 110 volts AC? If so, you would have to have enough battery power wired to an Inverter to supply 110 volts. You might be better off to purchase a 2.5K generator for you AC appliances. JMHO

akjimny

You can buy an INVERTER to convert 12 volt dc to 120 volt ac to run your appliances but it will suck your batteries dry in a heartbeat. If I was doing what you are trying, I would go with 12 volt / propane RV appliances and use a CONVERTOR to convert 120 volt ac to 12 volt dc when the trailer was plugged in to shore power. That, plus a generator would make you pretty independent.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. :) :)

Jinglehorse

Hi JMHO, Thanks for your response and help. I would like to avoid buying a generator for now. So, it sounds like I would be better off buying 12 volt appliances and converting them to fit 110 when I am plugged in? The conversion going the other way, AC to DC will use more battery?

Triple E

Jinglehorse - 1/25/2011 10:14 AM Hi JMHO, Thanks for your response and help. I would like to avoid buying a generator for now. So, it sounds like I would be better off buying 12 volt appliances and converting them to fit 110 when I am plugged in? The conversion going the other way, AC to DC will use more battery?

Not sure if you understood, but that is alright, I never get it right. Anyway, you will use more battery using an INVERTER. This is when you are going from 12 volt DC to 110 volt AC. A CONVERTER will take shore power, 110 volts AC, and supply you with 12 volts DC which will help in charging your battery.

To do what you want if AC power is not available, you will need either a whole bunch of batteries, and use the tow vehicle to recharge the batteries which means usinggas from your vehicle or buy the generator. The inverter comes in handy in a motor home if you want AC while driving down the highway and not use the generator. The Alternator on the motor home will keep the batteries charge when using the inverter while the engine is running.

Hope this helps. :)

swindy4x4

buy the generator..I have a honda 2000 watt and it works great for me ... its also really quiet.

LEN

To get an inverter big enough to run a micro you are going to be over the price or at least at the price of a good honda gen. You could look at some of the used refers and have propane and 110 and add a small cooktop(propane) also, that way one good battery will last for your cooking and cooling needs and the gen running while the micro is in use will charge the battery.

LEN

JimE

Take that advice, the Honda 2000 is an awesome unit; very quiet and you can walk out the door for under 1k. I have about 80 of them on my trucks and I cannot recall a single break down.