1985 Holiday Rambler 454

Blockhead

Just trying to figure out why she is eating a Qt of oil every 500 miles. I've been told that the valve seals have dried up from sitting before I got her? I don't see any oil leakage and other then the smell of oil buring every so often no other signsof a leak. She runs strong and I'm getting fare millage 7ml to the gallon.

Your thoughts ?

C Nash

Re: 1985 Holiday Rambler 454

Let it idle for 20 minutes and then if you see smoke from the tailpipe it's valve seals or if on deacceleration like going dow a hill and then giving it gas you see a puff of smoke it's valve seals. How many miles on the 454. They were kind of bad to use oil anyway but not 500 miles. Have you changed the oil and what kind did you use? Seals do tend to go back sitting. They get brittle. You can replace them w/o removing the heads.

LEN

The older 454's were noted for using oil. Seals were one reason and if compression is good thats the cause. For what a person drives an RV one quart every 500 if you not looking at a lot of smoke $4 or $5 in oil between oil changes "what the hey". And if not fouling plugs.

LEN

Blockhead

RE: 1985 Holiday Rambler 454

Thanks for the welcome Gentleman I have 70,000 on the motor so I'm hearing it may not be worth the money to fix. I'm using strait 40 quakerstate high mileage oil.

C Nash

Have you pulled the spark plugs to see what they look like? If it's valve seal I would replace them. Not a major job and it's something you can do yourself if you are mechanical at all. Try putting in a quart of Lucas when another quart of oil is needed or on next oil change. Straight 40 is a little heavy IMO.