1992 MD3060

Rick from Paso

Thank you for being there for all of us neophytes! I just bought an old American Eagle with a MD3060 mated to a cummins 8.3. It seems to shift fine but the tranny fluid looks like it needs changing. It doesn't have the spin-on filter like the new ones. It just has two round covers held on by bolts to the bottom of the pan. I assume that's where the filters are. There doesn't appear to be any drain plug. Would changing the fluid and filters be a job that I could perform? I do so on my suburban 700R4 tranny. Are there any pitfalls / tricks I need to be aware of?
Thanks again for your help.

Regards, Rick from Paso

New owner of a 1992 American Eagle with lots of problems!

Allison Expert

Re: 1992 MD3060

Hello Rick from Paso,
Yes you can do this yourself, and I would reccomend changing the oil, since you just got it, that way you will know that it has been done, and you can go from their. I would get on the allison web site and find the nearest dealer/distributor and get a set of Genuine Allison filters. In the filter kit, it shows you exactly how to service the trans. You can also take it to an RV shop and have it done, but it isn't all that difficult to do. :)