1996 Chevy pickup cruise control problem

cdavis

My '96 Chevy 1 ton 3500 diesel has an intermittent cruise control problem. Sometimes, when I engage the cruise, it will only stay on for two miles or so, and sometimes I can't get it to engage at all. Any ideas out there of why this could be happening? Thanks.

C Nash

Check the adjustment on your brake light switch.

cdavis

Thanks, will check brake light switch adjustment. Also have problem with engine actually stopping momentarily, 1/10th of a second or so in random fashion, no pattern I can figure at all. The two problems do not seem tied together as the cruise works even if the engine shuts down for a second or so. Brake light switch adjustment may be the problem as one of the times it drops cc is on rough roads, just returned from the RVDA show in Louisville, Ky and the cruise worked about 50 miles out of the 3500 mile trip!

C Nash

Charles, does the engine shut down happen after extended driving? The electronic controler that sits on top of the injector pump gave a lot of trouble on the 96 and pumps were prone to failure around 40,000. Heat seemed to be cause of most controler problems. I removed the shield that covered the top of the engine to let the heat out. It is there for looks only and does look better with it. Change the fuel filter regularly and keep the oil and filter changed. never race the engine on start up. Rough on the turbo. The cruise switch could also be the culprit. Watch your tac. and see if the rpm jumps

cdavis

C Nash, Thanks for all the responses. We live in Az, Hot, now on 3rd injector pump and 2nd lift pump, have always changed oil, air, and fuel filters, never seen any water in drain can I put under hose. Am reasonably mechanically literate, MEngineer background and inventor, though now I lend money for the RV industry, go figure. This is my first diesel engine and I feel lost working on it, though it's just another engine with less parts I guess. Extended driving does not seem to matter in the shut off. When the last pump went out it did seem to shut down as it heated up and a couple of times it presented a dangerous situation. Now it only shuts off for an instant, not like when the injector pump controller was going out, almost like a loose hot wire to the controller as if it were just sitting on the spade and not fully pushed on and would jump off for a millisecond and land back in place? Do not understand your "watch your tac and see if the rpm jumps" statement? Will remove the cover tomorrow and instal a new fuel filter and check the connections on the pump controller, and check the brake pedal adjustment.

C Nash

Charles, sometimes if there is a bad eletrical connection it will show in the tac reading. does not sound like a pump problem but could be in the controller. Cheching all the connections is where I would start.

cdavis

Hi Chelse, I got under the brake pedal tonight and could not find the switch!!!! I have adjusted them in the past but actually could not find it on this truck. I did find the brake pedal does have a little looseness like the return spring is less than new which of course it is. Do you know where I could find online an exploded view of the brake light switch and mount and possible adjustment procedures. I was surprised not to find it easily, it must be on the very top of the brake pedal mount, I could not see up there, OH WAIT could it be outside the firewall, that is someplace i did not look, assumed it would be on the pedal mount.

C Nash

Charles, it should be up near the top of the brake pedal. Don't know of any place on the net that might give a view but bet you could put in brake light adjustment and find something. I could probably get the info off my sons mitchell info and e-mail but will be monday before he is back in his shop. Miss my Mitchell on demand that I had before I retired.

96chevtruck

Hello, I am a tech at a Chev dealership. The injector pump driver on the side of the pumps are very common to fail and if you get a fault code in the fuel system it can shut off your cruise,. Hope this helps Bill :)

hertig

Also, I had similar problems with my cruise control, getting worse until it would not work at all. I had the cruise control module replaced, and it worked fine from then on. I think there was a plastic gear in there which got progressively more stripped...