1998 Newmar Kountry Star - Ground Clearance & Driveway Grade

labll

I am a potential new owner.

My driveway is fairly steep when first turning in and out. I am getting grading work done to accommodate driving in and out with my very good potential Kountry Star 1998, Diesel, 38' unit.

My questions concern bottoming out the rv and how to figure given the wheel base length, ground clearance, turning distance and section rear of the wheels with the angle of the driveway when turning in to not bottom out.

I would rather think it through before starting the grading process so that I don't have to call a hook.

Any comments?

big bilko

RE: 1998 Newmar Kountry Star - Ground Clearance & Driveway Grade

just completed my widening of the driveway to accomodate my 34 coachmen.$24000 later I cannot get it up the slope as the skid plates dig in if I reverse in and the same if I drive in. Council regulations limit me to the gradient and we already cheated by 4". Waiting on my concreter to come back. Looks like it will have to be dug up. :disapprove: :8ball: :8ball: :8ball: :( :( Even my both cars bottom out) If someone can tell me a formula for working out the angles I would be most grateful. Regards from down under..BIG BILKO. :) :) :)

TexasClodhopper

Re: 1998 Newmar Kountry Star - Ground Clearance & Driveway Grade

Welcome to the forum, Lawrence!

Here's a drawing that might help you figure it out. You will need a fifth grader to do the geometry and measurements necessary to find the grade, but perhaps a piece of chalk and a ball of string will get you going! :clown:

DrivewayGrade.jpg

big bilko

In a perfect world my angle problem would be OK. To complicate things my frontage is on a slope and from the gutter at the start of my driveway it slopes upward towards the middle of the road.I had the driveway widened to 22feet wide and being on a narrow service road there is not enough room to negotiate enough angle to clear the two lowest points on the RV.The tradesmen designed the drive and it sadly is their responsibility to rectify the problem,but now the council inspectors will put in their regulations to complicate things.I will try to post a photo. :) :) Regards BIG BILKO. (P.S)welcome Lawrence to the forum.

You might try pulling in diagonally , thats what I do & it works great ! I have about a 9 degree slope on a driveway thats about 3 to 4 cars wide . My Class A is 37".

Dean

big bilko

I have lodged some photos of my driveway into my album. They dont really show the severity of the angle involved.At my next attempt I will take photos of the vehicle as we try. RegardsBig Bilko :) :) :)

CapeCodBob

Here's an idea. Sell the house and go fulll timing!