2008 Explorer Capacity

chucksherm1

I am plannonig to tow a 23' Rockwood Roo, dry weight 3680lbs, with my 2008 Ford Explorer. It came with the standard trailer tow package from the dealer. Class C receiver.
The Explorer is rated for 5200lbs max. I'm new to this. Any advice?

C Nash

Re: 2008 Explorer Capacity

Welcome to the forum Charles. You will probably be close to your max if not over by the time you load everything. Remember what you have in the explorer will also be added. What is the posted weight of the Rockwood? Should be a sticker inside with this info.

DL Rupper

Hey chucksherm1, welcome to the forum. Just be careful of how much cargo/fluids you put in the Rockwood Roo. :) It doesn't take much to exceed your tow capacity. :eek:

chucksherm1

RE: 2008 Explorer Capacity

Thanks for the response! I don't know what the sticker says the weight is. Everywhere I've looked I've seen the dry weight listed at 3600lbs. The owners manual lists my Explorer capacity at 5200lbs. So, I'm thinking that 70gals of water should be another 700lbs plus maybe another 200lbs of 'stuff'. Thats about it. Maybe I could fill the water when I get where I'm going. I don't know. I'm just trying to put a plan together and I really appreciated the advice from you guys with experience. My wife and I have wanted to try this for a long time but I don't want a bad experience. We'll be pulling this thing 300 miles one way.

Chuck

DARLING

Just be carefull on your loading weight you are getting close....

200lbs can be eaten up quickly with groceries, (pantry & fridge), dishes, linens, clothing, personal toiletries

In addition you have to add the weight of water & sewer hoses, power cord, jack stands

Darlin

C Nash

No need to fill the fresh water tank full before leaving unless you plan on boon docking. Carry just enough to use in an emergency. 1/4 tank will generally be enough. Use paper plates, cups and plastic ware. Carry only needed cloths. Tools will add weight quick. Don't fill the explorer gas tank full unless going where gas will not be. lot of ways to cut coners and less weight means more MPG :)

aussie Keith

We have a 2002 Explorer which, with the standard tow package, only has a capacity of 3500lbs. To increase it to 5500lbs it needed to have the heavy duty tow bar "tongue" fitted which also has the stronger ball. The rating is stamped on the tongue on ours. So, check again, just to be sure you do not have to upgrade. Of course, this may have changed with your later model.

hertig

um, you can't increase the towing capacity of any vehicle. Well, perhaps you could but it would not be easy and when you got done, good luck getting it certified for that new weight.

What aussie Kieth is talking about is increasing the capacity of the HITCH.

ironart

WOW....I would not even consider towing a 23' TT with an Explorer... I would be hesitant to use my Expedition to do that....I would be looking to a 3/4 ton truck if it were me. Just My 2 cents.... :eek: :eek: :) :) :) :)