30/50 amp question

krsmitty

My 5er is 30amp and we do pop a breaker on the pedestal more often that I like when using more appliances at the same than we should. This weekend the 30amp breaker on the pedestal popped several times with just the a/c running by itself. The park was full and over 90* in the shade, so I assume with all the a/c's going full blast the power at the park must run a little low at times.

I have several friends who have 30amp and use a 30amp to 50amp adapter plug and then use the 50 amp plug on the pedestal. They both say it has done away with 30amp popped breakers.

BUT, I am thinking that it may not be the safest idea??? The 30 amp breaker on the pedestal is there for a reason, to protect your RV. If you use the 50amp service, you are then relying on the breakers in you RV to protect you? Especially if you have a power surge over 30amps???

Or, am I thinking this all wrong?? Is it safe to use the 50amp service with a 30amp rig???

Grandview Trailer Sa

Re: 30/50 amp question

Ken,
You do have breakers in the trailer that should protect you. Everyone with a 30 amp rig pops the campground breaker every now and then. As hot as it was this past weekend, I think you right about them being low on power.
If you get an adapter, that does not give you a 50 amp trailer....You still must know your limitations. Remember, at the pole, that breaker is controlling everything your camper is doing. When you adapt like that, the individual circuts have their own breakers and you might sneak a little more. BUT you will not blow that 50 amp breaker, so be carefull.

krsmitty

Thanks Ken...What I was thinking. I knew I had the RV breakers, but felt better in keeping the trouble on the pole. But, under certain situations I can see it being a benefit.

Triple E

Smitty, remember those breakers on the pedestal are well used and I assume old. Do you have a thirty amp breaker in you 5'er or just 20 and 15? By rule it you have a 30 amp main in series with the smaller breakers you are ok.

krsmitty

If I remember correctly I do have a 30amp main breaker. Thanks for the info guys. :)

DL Rupper

Hey Ken buy an Autoformer and connect it to the park outlet and then hook up your rv to it. It will raise the park voltage to your rig which in turn will lower the current you are drawing. This may help keep your/park breaker from tripping. The Autoformer really works good on hot days to raise the low unsafe park voltage (105V or lower) to a safe 105+ voltage. Low voltage will cause premature failures in you RV appliances. :(

H2H1

Morning Ken S, I have both, a 30-50 amp adapter and a autoformer. I use the autoformer during the summer just to keep the voltage up while running both AC. The autoformer is like a transformer on a telephone pole, it just maintains the voltage during heavy use. I must tell they aren't cheap, but worth every penny you pay. :laugh: