50 amp receptacle to 30 amp power cord

RBStubbs

My current travel trailer (2008 Hi-Lo) is wired to use a 30 amp power cord. I want to have an outside receptacle wired at my home and for future use (hopefully a motor home in the next year or two), I would like it to be a 50 amp plug. I realize I can purchase a 50 amp male to 30 amp female adapter and just want to confirm that there shouldn't be any issues with supplying too much electricity to my trailer.

Thank you in advance for any comments that you can provide.

H2H1

Re: 50 amp receptacle to 30 amp power cord

well Bob I,,we don't know what year of a MH you would be buying. I have a 03 Gasser that has a 30 amp breaker panel and power cord. Now if you are looking at a diesel I would think all of them are 50 amp. But, I have a 30 amp out side outlet that I keep it plugged in . However the electrical power supply to the outlet is large enough to swap out the 30 for a 50 amp if I ever get a diesel with a 50 amp power cord. I recommend that to you, this way you will covered if you get a 50 amp MH., all you have to do is change the plug. Good luck, be careful. :cool: :cool: :approve: :approve:

C Nash

Bob my 2002 HR gasser has 50 amp service. A lot of the gas MH offered it as a option. If you wired your shore power for 50 amp and got the 30 amp adapter you would probably just pull off one of the 110 lines. IMO there would be no problem but there will be others here with better knowledge of the elec than me that will advise you. If you have a choice when you decide to go class A I would recommend 50 amp. Generally pay a little more for CS but think it's worth it JMO

Triple E

Just to be safe and sure, until you have a 50 amp motor home install a 30 amp breaker. When you get ready for the 50 amp service just replace the 30 amp breaker to a 50 amp breaker. Planning ahead is a good idea. ;)

:8ball:

H2H1

now Steve that was a great suggestion. I wished I would have thought of it.. But there again, I am no way electrical educated, I just like to plug and go :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Triple E

Well thank you Hollis. :laugh: ;) :cool: :) Next time I should read your thread instead of glancing at it. I'm bad. :blackeye:

:8ball: