5er brake problem?

krsmitty

Since the 5er is still under warranty will be taking it in, but wanted to get opinions from others.

Last couple times we have had the 5er out I have noticed this problem(?). Under normal circumstances my TV will pull the 5er along at idle with my foot off the brake. Lately though, I have noticed (Honestly can't remember if it has always done it or not.) that at least 50% of the time or better the TV and 5er will no longer move/roll when I let my foot off the brake. It is like something is holding it back. It seems I have to accelerate a little harder than normal, then it feels like something releases and off we go.

When coming to a stop, it seems to be ok as long as I am rolling, but once I come to a full stop is when I notice the TV and 5er will no longer roll when I release the brake pedal.

When I stop, I will go around and feel the 5er wheels to see if they feel hotter than normal, but they do not.

I do not have the issue when in the TV by itself, so thinking there may be a slight drag on 5er brakes. Just enough to keep the TV and 5er from free rolling. The brake controller does not show any voltage being applied, so assuming it may not be the BC.

Thoughts...

Thanks,

akjimny

Re: 5er brake problem?

Ken - I'm thinking you could have some brake dust between the shoes and drums in the 5er thats causing just enough drag to hold you back. JMO.

krsmitty

Sort of what I was thinking...something along that line.

Just talking to my Dad (full time RV'er)...saying it could also be the tranny? Something releasing, disengaging at idle, but engages once I add power???

C Nash

What is your TV? Are you towing in a tow mode? Might have someone to stand outside when stopping, in a deserted parking lot, and see if they hear a pop at the fiver wheels. Could be a sticking brake liner that just needs a spot of lube.

krsmitty

C Nash - 3/28/2011 10:06 AM

What is your TV? Are you towing in a tow mode? Might have someone to stand outside when stopping, in a deserted parking lot, and see if they hear a pop at the fiver wheels. Could be a sticking brake liner that just needs a spot of lube.

07 Ram 2500 5.9 CTD. Yes, using the tow mode. Plan to do that in the next day or 2.

C Nash

Could be that the dodge transmission does this in tow mode. Might try coming to a stop with trans not in tow mode to see.

krsmitty

C Nash - 3/28/2011 1:33 PM

Could be that the dodge transmission does this in tow mode. Might try coming to a stop with trans not in tow mode to see.

The problem does not occur every time. So, not sure it has to do with the t/h mode. But, worth a try.

LEN

Got a safe place where you can test without the 5ver plugged into the TV. Stop several times see results. Plug in and try again see results. At least it would tell if it the 5ver brakes or not. If so then look for source.

LEN

krsmitty

LEN - 3/29/2011 10:38 AM

Got a safe place where you can test without the 5ver plugged into the TV. Stop several times see results. Plug in and try again see results. At least it would tell if it the 5ver brakes or not. If so then look for source.

LEN

Will be doing that this weekend.