5th wheel hitch to Goose neck?

krsmitty

Presently have a standard slider 5th wheel hitch in a short bed Ram. Was thinking of converting to a goose neck type hitch to get my truck bed back. I am assuming that a goose neck does not have the "slider" capabilities, so will lose some of my turn angle. Even though I have never used the slider ...yet anyway.

Has anyone made the change I am thinking of? Anyone using a goose neck now in a s/b?

Thanks.

Grandview Trailer Sa

Ken, if your trailer is under warranty, you will void your frame warranty....and you will need to add safety chains....5ths are exempt from chains. Dont do it.

LEN

And I would check with the factory if it is stressed for the goose neck even if out of warranty. If not you can tear the bed portion up on the 5ver.

LEN

C Nash

If its out of warrenty you may want to have a good welder go in and beef up the neck portion. Just not the way to go IMO.

Grandview Trailer Sa

Nash, you can't "beef up the neck portion".... Look at at a horse/cattle trailer..it has HUGE gussets off the coupler neck...the back of the neck down the front and from the front to the main frame. You dont see this in a 5th Camper...because they are designed differently with "ladder" bracing no one sees. The metal in a horse/cattle trailer is much heavier than a 5th wheel uses also.

Try this..hang your hand downward with your elbow straight out and try to hold it still.....have someone grap your elbow and move it...note how far it moves...then have them grab your hand and see how far they can move it...your hand will move a LOT farther. You have just demonstrated the difference in design of a 5th wheel and a gooseneck.

C Nash

I agree with you Ken It shouldn't be done but I did see one that had been beefed up from the front down to the main frame. A lot of work and done by a great welder. Just not worth it IMO. Having said all this I have a Brother that has towed his 5th wheel for 10 yrs with no problem after I told him not to. LOL

Kenworth

I had a 5th wheel to gooseneck adapter for my 5er...I also didn't like the idea of rails in my bed, but broke down and bought a B&W Companion, and love it. I wouldn't recommend the 5th to gooseneck converter, it is alot of strain, and I think it pulls way nicer with the companion

Tim&Jen

When I bought my TV it was set up with a goose neck. After a lot of research I didn't go with the converter. There is way too much against it.