5th wheel question

RodneyVa

i currently have a tow behind camper and am thinking about switching to a 5th wheel. I am overwhelmed with the different possibilities and prices of 5th wheel hitches. Is there that much difference between a hitch that costs over $1000 to one that costs less? What is a good general 5th wheel hitch?

H2H1

Re: 5th wheel question

Rodney give Ken a PM and see what he can do for you. He and his wife own Grand View Trailer Sales in Bedford, VA. He will ask what type of truck you have and what size of 5'er you are looking for. Good luck :laugh: You check him out on the forum

Kirk

I have to agree with the advice of Hollis. There are not many RV dealers who I would trust very far, but from all I have seen you can rely on the advice given by this one. And he will help you even if you don't live hear enough to deal with him.

RodneyVa

RE: 5th wheel question

Thanks for the replies but they really don't answer my question. There are a number of reputable places in my area that I checked with and yes Grand View is one of them. For a 16k lbs. hitch prices range from $600 to over $1400 installed. Are there certain features that some hitches have that other don't that are a must have that make them worth the extra money? I don't want to get a hitch and later find out that I should have gotten another. I know that you usually get what you pay for but I don't like to over pay either. I have searched for info on the web but can only find basic info on 5th wheel hitches. If someone can direct me to a web site with good information or clear up my confusion on what sets some hitches apart from others would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.

C Nash

Rodney, It would help if we knew what you are towing and what tow vehickle you have. Where will you be towing? Do you have a short bed ,4door,1/2 ton or what? %th wheel 25 ft or 40 ft. Short bed you will probably need the slider. 40 ft 5th wheel you might want the cushioned hitch. We need more information. Welcome to the forum.

RodneyVa

Sorry for the lack of information. I have a Dodge Ram 2500 long bed with a standard cab. The size camper I will be towing will be in the 28' range, 30'max. The GVWR on most I have looked at were in the 7.5K to 10K range. Thanks a lot.

C Nash

Any of the 16k range should be fine IMO Rodney. If you are going to be towing on a lot of rough roads the hitch with the air shock will help. You will not need a slider with the long bed. I do like the ones that will rock a little to allow for uneven hitchup. I had one by valley that was fine. Just a matter of how much your budget will allow. Just shop around and you can find some good buys on used hitches. Saw a reese 16k on craig list for 250 used. keep us posted

Grandview Trailer Sa

Rodney,
It is kind of hard to give prices here. IF you purchase a trailer from us, we will sell it to you at cost and install free. IF you don't purchase from us, I do intend to make a little profit. The Pro Series from Reese/Drawtite will do you just fine. It would be the lowest cost does have the side to side pivot. I think 5 degrees each way, but could be a little more. Reese/Drawtite do make others rated up to and over 22K, but you don't need that to pull the trailer your talking about, and the price skyrockets also.

Come see me for your best deal

RodneyVa

Ken, I understand that you need to make a profit. As a consumer I need to shop around and make sure that I am making the right purchase the first time and not over spend for basically the same hitch. I have no problem spending more if I am getting a superior product. After doing more research I still have the same question. What makes a $1400 hitch $1400 and a $600 Hitch $600, and then the ones in between? At 16k they are all rated to do the same job, they look very much alike and make the same claims. So again whats are the real differences? Thanks a bunch.

jetboat

Rodney,sorta sounds like you were not listening to the above comments. I think they gave you the answere.

Grandview Trailer Sa

Well, I will try to answer the best I can.

The Pro Series uses a solid bar, about 1/2 x 2" in size. Slides behind the kingpin and locks in. 16K and above use what is called a clamshell to lock around the kingpin. I have never seen, but heard of clamshells letting go, but only when not locked in properly.

I do like the solid bar...nothing gonna turn loose, but wear will indent the bar over time. A LONG time...a welder and grinder can fix it in just a few minutes if it really gets bad, but I have never had to. It really is a safe hitch.

Reese builds the 16K clamshell somewhat heavier, but the clamshell simply is more involved in manufacturing. As they build the 18K, 20K and 22K, they are again built heavier and cost more.

Industry secret here: Reese/Drawtite test ALL hitches to 80,000lb.

Again, with the trailer your talking about, the Pro Series will do just fine, but if you want more, they make them also.

RodneyVa

Thanks a lot Ken. With that information and what I have learned over the weekend I am some what educated on hitches. I was trying to read more into them than is really there. It's not like you can go to Wal-Mart to see and touch them in person. Thanks to all for your help.