5th Wheel vs Travel Trailer, Old vs New & Slides vs None?

Janice L.

Hi Everyone,

Absolutely love the fact that I can get advice from some seasoned pros out there actively rv'ing . . .

My husband and I are about to buy our first RV. It will mainly be me, at least for a time, while I travel to see my grandchildren in Virginia. We started out with illusions of grandeur; and thought to buy something like my brothers 40 FT. KZ 5th Wheel Toy Hauler. Well that at least was until reality hit. It was not only the big $$'s, but the enormity of trying to pull that monstrosity around with us/me. It scared me to death. I do love the inside, his model anyway, but I know I'm not ready for that. My 6'3" husband didn't mind it however, and he wasn't scared a bit.

Quickly, however, I started looking at 25 FT. w/no slide TT's. I fell in love with an old Hornet, that was sold before I could even blink an eye or attempt to figure out if that's what I really wanted instead of a newer Adirondack 27 FT. with a slide, that I had my eye on, and one that I would need to finance. For me, there is a safeness in the smaller TT's, they do not seem so cumbersome and hard to handle. I can even picture myself towing one alone, with a F-150 (I'm looking at an old SunnyBrook now, no slide approx 26FT).

What is the going advice for someone just starting out? Is it better to start small, learn the ropes and then move up? Or buy big at the start and jump right in to the fray?

I will so much appreciate any advice you all could give us. Oh, just one more thing, as I've had different answers to this question . . . Is it legal, and can a person sleep in the back of a moving TT while the other is driving?

Thanks in advance!

God Bless,
Janice L.

Kirk

Re: 5th Wheel vs Travel Trailer, Old vs New & Slides vs None?

". . Is it legal, and can a person sleep in the back of a moving TT while the other is driving?"

In most states it is not legal, but the reason is that it can be deadly to do so. If the CO from the tow vehicle exhaust should leak into the trailer while you are sleeping there, you will be dead long before anyone discovers it. CO is not only poison, but a sleeping person will not wake up to know that they are in trouble. That is a very dangerous thing to do and it should not be done, ever. If you want to do that, shop for a motorhome.

Janice L.

Re: 5th Wheel vs Travel Trailer, Old vs New & Slides vs None?

Thanks so much Kirk for the life-saving (literally) answer! I never thought of that and I'm surprised my husband hadn't either, being that he's a mechanic (Licensed Aircraft/Automobile) and should have known better. We were both told different things, and in fact; we were advised to go with a 5th Wheel for the purpose of sleeping w/one driving.

Although, I'm guessing by your answer, that it can be applied to a 5th Wheel as well; since you mentioned only a MH?

Thanks again for your response!

God Bless,
Janice L.