6 volt or 12 volt batteries??

dart451

I have a used 5th wheel that has two 6 volt batteries that are connected in series to make 12 volts. The batteries are going south(won't hold a charge)so I'm thinking of buying two 12 volt batteries and connecting them in parallel. Is this a no, no or are two 12's going to be alright? Also, regular car batteries or should I go with deep cycle? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you. Keith

hertig

6 volt batteries are slightly better, but 2 12 volt batteries will work adequately. If you have the wiring and the room for 6 volts, I'd stick with them.

Regular car batteries are designed to deliver high current for a short time, and always be kept fully charged. They don't work well, or last long, in 'house battery' applications. Deep cycle batteries are designed to provide steady current over a period of time and be charged/discharged repeatedly. Watch out for the dual purpose batteries - they don't do either purpose as well as the use specific batteries.

The batteries you want will be rated for Amp-Hours, and have no 'cranking' rating. By the way, for longest life, don't often discharge them more than 50%.

Grandview Trailer Sa

Two 12 volt in parallel will work fine. Go with deep cycle, they will take discharge over and over. Regular car batteries won't.

Kirk

Two 12V in parallel supply the same thing as the two 6V in series, but just not as much of it. There are sound reasons that most two battery systems use two deep cycle 6V batteries. The best choice is a pair of the golf cart type of battery.