83 Travelcraft P30 34 foot

jonsonm36

I just aquired a 1983 Travelcraft P30 34 foot motorhome except for it has no batteries. How many batteries are required for the battery rack and how are these batteries suppose to be wired (Series or parallel)? Also, are these batteries regular truck batteries or marine batteries. I am new to this RV world.

LEN

Re: 83 Travelcraft P30 34 foot

Welcome,
Two different batteries will work. 12 volt in parallel or 6 volt in series. They are neither truck or marine, they are deep cycle like for golf carts and electric fork lifts. What you need is based on how much you camp without power and how much power you will use and then of course budget. I run in the DP 4 Trojan 105's 6 volt and will cost 500-600 to replace, there are larger and more expensive. Do a search here or just on the net and there is a ton of info. Cheap way out is go to Sams club or Walmart and get their deep cycles.

TexasClodhopper

I just use two 12 volt deep cycle marine batteries in parallel, because I don't do much "off the grid" camping.

TexasClodhopper

You don't want a deep cycle battery for an engine start battery, because the deep cycle battery doesn't have the surge or start current capability.

Get the battery that is designed for the engine.

jonsonm36

Are these engine batteries usually located in the engine compartment or in the battery drawer half-way down the motorhome on the left side?