89 Octane

Pillaz

My brother informed me that he runs his v-8 suv on 89 octane. He says he gets one extra m/g This way and that 89 octane is .10 pr gallon more than regular. So On 40 gallons of fuel he pays $4 more and gets 40 extra miles. I started doing some math....(Oh No!!!!) and figure that if the MH gets an extra .18 extra miles per gallon that the 89 octane would be worth it. (cheeper)
Has anyone tried this? Here in the tax capital of the world (NY) 87 octane is at $4.13/gal 89 octane is $4.23 a gal.
Ok, I cant type/spell or do math..... and there are rumors that I went to a good university...(see:drinking)

Anyway I am curious if anyone has an opinion or has tried it.
Thanks.

tinkerer

RE: 89 Octane

I have done some trials with different vehicle and in some of my vehicles I get better gas mileage with the premium but I don't think it's because of the octane but most premium in our area doesn't contain ethanol. Some vehicle did better than others. But cost wise it was wash so I continue to use regular. :)

utmtman

Re: 89 Octane

I believe some of the newer vehicles will tell you if you can run on a higher octane. I read somewhere in my books that they did not recommend that on my rv. Or maybe it was on my suv dont remember will have to check it out. I know in the past I have got better mileage on our truck we had with premium over regular but not by a lot seems like it was only 1/2 to 1 mpg.

H2H1

My MH says to use 87 octane, and that what I use. I will go up one grade when we head up to the mountain this fall. Oh that if I get it back out of the shop :( :( :( :(

Pillaz

Here is the thing tho. At $1.50 per gal reg. the Plus (89) was 10 cents more a gal ($1.60) at that price the extra 10 cents per gal did not pay. But at over $4/gal even 1/2mpg extra would pay for itself.
Now I know that my MH was designed to run on 87 octane but if I stop and get 70 gals of fuel it would cost me $7 more for the 89 octane. Thats less than the cost of 2gal of gas.
The higher the price of fuel the more it seems to pay.

I normally get about 71/2 mpg with MH 70X7.5=525
At 73/4 mpg 70x7.75=542.5
with an extra 1/4mpg I could travel 17.5 miles further w 89 octane for $7
all of which would seve about $5 per tank.
I guess I will have to try it and see... I can't imagine that funning 89 octane on an exgine set up for 87 can damage it can it???

Kirk

Ford people say that if you increase the octane of fuel used above 87 for extended periods, you will burn up the valves.

Hollis,

If you mean to move up from regular to the mid grade, in the Rocky Mountains the bottom grade is 85, mid grade is 87 and the top is 89.

C Nash

If it aint pinging on a hill you don't need a higher octane. Waste of money but the pure gas with no ethanol might get better mpg. JMO :)

Pillaz

Got no pinging with the 87 oct and no pinging w/89 octane. I did get better mileage with the 89 octane tho.
Just thought I would let you know how I made out when i tried it out. I am using the "mid grade" gass from now on.