A/C problem

frankyb

Hi, everyone. I'm new to the forum and I have a question to ask about my air conditioner. I just bought a 2011 Keystone Alpine fifth wheel trailer. The original owner never used it, so I'm essentially checking out and using the systems for the first time. Because it is two years old and I am not the original owner, there is no warranty left on anything. The issue I am having is that the A/C is not cooling. I have a Dometic Duo-therm unit with heat pump, ducted through the ceiling and controlled by a comfort control system II thermostat. The fan runs, I can hear the compressor kicking in but I am not getting cool. 87 out side yesterday, inside temp only got down to 82. When I put my hands near the various ceiling vents it seems like there is very little air flow. I did locate the filters inside the return air vents and they are clean, although I found enough sawdust to fill up a small cereal bowl. Has anyone experienced problems with this type of system due to faulty installation work? I know it's possible it might just need a freon charge, but that seems highly unlikely since the unit is so new. Any information any one can offer would be greatly appreciated before I start spending money on service calls.

Frank & Elisha Baker
New full timers

vanole

Frank,

I had the CCC2 system installed a year ago when I replaced my 3 A/C's and heatpumps. I have not had any issue with the system yet.

Have you cycled through everything yet ie, furnace, heatpump then A/C. Mainly asking if you have shifted from heat pump to A/C's could be a stuck reversing valve that is giving you the problem. Got to admit the CCC2 is not to user friendly compared to the 5 button CCC1 or the older 4 button.

If you don't have the manuals you might try looking on the Bryant RV page. That place if chalked full of tech manuals and trouble shooting guides.

Never seen the sawdust problem before and sorry I can't help you their.

frankyb

Yeah, I did cycle through the system. furnace works normally, Heat pump seems to work, but like with the A/C there seems to be minimal air coming out of the ceiling vents.

vanole

Frank,

By chance have you checked to make sure the ductwork is connected to the air outlets in the overhead?

frankyb

Actually I leaning more and more toward that being the problem. Judging by the large amount of sawdust I found remaining in the return air duct when I pulled the vent that was obviously left over from installation, I'm wondering if the workmanship where the ducting mates to the unit was poorly done. I'm probably going to have to go in though the unit from the roof to find out. Thanks a lot for your help. I'll let everybody know what I eventually find out.

Frank

akjimny

Frankyb - The sawdust sounds like a pi**poor job of construction and clean-up afterward. I have run into this in both homes and RVs - seems like they don't about what can't be seen after the finish coat goes on. Hopefully you can get to the problem without having to pull the ceiling down. Good Luck!!

vanole

Frank,

Hope you get to the root of the problem. Please let us know what you find out.

See you are from Delaware, I'm from Va Beach but presently roosting in South Florida and will be heading home soon. Getting too hot down here.

frankyb

Well, after researching threads from here and another forum, I have found what the problem is. It basically boils down to poor workmanship and worse quality control at the factory. I pulled the cover off the A/C unit and then removed the cover from the evaporator coils which gave me access to the return air opening. What I found was a single piece of HVAC tape across the opening between the output and return ducting and the air pressure from the blower fan had pushed it out and folded it back allowing all the air to just recirculate directly to the return side. wouldn't you know. I used close to 8 feet Of HVAc tape getting everything sealed back up so that I had no leakage back into the return side.

H2H1

frankyb that great news, so glad you found the problem and was able to do the repairs your self. Now I am sure you can enjoy it more and cooler. good luck camping