a/c won't cool

reneen

Hi everyone, We have a 2002 Catalina Sport Class C 22" motor home that has maybe 80 hrs. on the a/c. The fan works but it won't cool. We are pretty new at this and not at all handy. We were told at a dealer that we needed a new compressor... with labor...$1000.00!!!!! Does that sound right? Could there be something else wrong..I hope so!! Thanks

ARCHER

Re: a/c won't cool

Welcome, I'd check on a new one, if they said that much. Second opinion.......get one

Grandview Trailer Sa

WAY too much. If it is a roof top AC, 500.00 to 600.00. There is no such thing as replacing the compressor, the whole unit gets replaced. Yes, go get a second opinion.

G

i agree with both the above ,, there is only minor stuff that can be replaced on an overhead a/c unit ,, and the compressor is not one of them ,, as GTS ,, and Archer both said ,, now was that price ,,parts and labor + tax ,, or what ,, as GTS said and Archer also ,, have it looked at ,, at another dealer or repair shop ...
Welcome to the forums :) :) :) :)

cwishert

I know you all are not big on Camping World but when we picked our MH up last month, the ac went out in thier parking lot, they replaced it with a brand new one in about an hours time. I saw I think yesterday there was a unit on thier site for about $800 or so. Shop around. I think the guy told me at the time that normal labor charges are about $90 per hour. I'm glad ours broke down before we took possession of it. That would have been a big pain.