A couple of Questions

Shoulder

I have an 89 Fleetwood Pace Arrow. Ford 460 gas with 4 barrel and 3 speed auto. I have 4 questions:
1) The fridge is leaking the ammonia gas. I keep it closed and all is ok no smell. I now want to remove it. How do I do it without killing myself? Does anyone know how the dealer would do it?
2) Tires say max 110psi. Sticker inside says max 70psi. Should I go by the inside sticker or the tires?
3) I need 4 dash board style switches. I want the same look so they match the stock ones. Does anyone know where I can get them from?
4) The manual calls for Type H tranny fluid. I cannot find it anywhere. Does anyone know where to get it from?

Thank-You
Bob

C Nash

Re: A couple of Questions

2) Tires say max 110psi. Sticker inside says max 70psi. Should I go by the inside sticker or the tires?

My concern would be that the tires have been replaced with higher pressures than the original tires and the rims may not be rated for the higher pressure. Know this does not answer your question but maybe others will give their opinion.

elkhartjim

Good catch Chelse.

Another thought Bob, air pressure is directly related to the weight of the rig...check this wheels to make sure they can handle over 70 pounds.

miket

The 110 PSI is for the maximum load the tires can carry. If the inside sticker is for the tires on the unit, go with the inside sticker, or weigh the coach, then use the load inflation table for the tire for proper pressure.

Type H is a Ford spec, have you tried a Ford dealer? Googled --- C-5 Automatic transmissions use type H fluid. It can be replaced with Mercon or Mercon V a Ford fluid.

mikemc

I'm not sure why you would have ammonia. Mine only has propane and freon. To remove the unit, turn off your propane valve and pull the unit out. Make sure you have plenty of ventilation and once it is out, you will have to dispose of it properly. You can't vent freon to the atmosphere. Most cities have locations to take a/c and refrigerator units. Someone else may know something different, but that is what I have been taught.

Good Luck,

Mike

*scooter*

My experience is that if there is an ammonia smell, the refer is leaking and may need to be replaced. :(

Kirk

"1) The fridge is leaking the ammonia gas"
This means that the cooling unit has sprung a leak and should be replaced, but if this is the original refrigerator, it is now twenty years old and you would be much wiser to replace it with a new one. The coolant inside of RV refrigerators is ammonia, so that is where the smell is coming from.

To remove the present refrigerator, you must first unhook the 12V and 120V power to it. Next, make sure that the propane is turned off and disconnect the gas line to the unit. Next there will be mounting screws to hold the unit in place that you access from the rear of the unit and some refrigerators also have trim inside which can be removed to access additional mounting screws on the inside. You should be able to wiggle the refrigerator once all mounting screws have been removed.

Removal of the refrigerator from the RV is done by pulling it out into the interior of the RV and then carry it out through the entry door.

"2) Tires say max 110psi. Sticker inside says max 70psi."
There has already been good advice given on this subject. One more thing that is very important is that you should check the DOT code on the sidewall to see when the tires were manufactured. Regardless of how they may look any tire on an RV that is more than seven years old should be replaced. They will blow out at some point and it will likely be soon. Most cases it comes at the most inconvenient or dangerous time!

"3) I need 4 dash board style switches."
For this, I would check with JC Whitney's on line catalog or similar type of places. You may have to replace all of the existing switches to make them all look alike.

"4) The manual calls for Type H tranny fluid."
For this one, I would check with your local Ford truck shop to see what they use on older Ford transmissions.