A&E Awning Problem

skirk55

I have a 5 year old awning an this weekend we noticed the fabric has started to break down on the top near where is is attached to the trailer. Just the top fabric the underneath is like new. Is there a glue out there I can apply to get more time out of it? Can I replace just the vinyl? The awning hardware is like new Just the vinyl is dry rotted. :angry:

Browzin

Re: A&E Awning Problem

Any repair will only be a stop gap measure at best. It might get you another year of use. West Marine has a sail patch repair kit that works excellent on awnings, you might give it a try.
For the second part of your question, yes you can replace just the awning fabric only.

skirk55

I will look into the repair kit thank you. This sounds better than just a glue. Next year we will replace it with a fabric instead of vinyl. The trailer is kept near the ocean in Virginia and the sun it tough on everything.

JWCasey

I'm having to replace my awning. where is the best place to find on the internet? thanks, Bill

skirk55

I am looking to replace my awning vinyl with fabric. My 18' A&E awning it will cost me $230.00 at my local RV dealer. I am going to use sail repair tape for now and this spring I will replace it.

tomc

my awning by A&E and is vinyl 18ft long has a two inch hole about two to three inches from the top i was going to patch it but then i found a rv person and what they do is remove the awning from the roller cut the vinyl back to remove the hole then stich the end and slide it back in the grove,i have never heard of this being done but if it works it will be a lot cheaper than replacing the complete awning material but can only be done if the hole is two to three inches from the top,has anyone heard of this being done .

big bilko

This is frequently done with house external awnings and will solve your problem. I would suggest that whilst you have it off the van top to tail the material as the best part of the fabric is at the top where it has been inside the roll of fabric. Then you have the cleanest part of the awning at the bottom instead of the top..Regards BIG BILKO. :)

H2H1

I just found out that U can just replace the fabric. Three years ago when I had a TT I order just the fabric from camping world in Dothan AL and made an appointment as the time we would be heading to Destin Fla we would stop by and get the work done. Well to my surprise they informed me once we got there that I had to buy the hold dang thing, Just like a new one. Well they came out with the complete unit and took off the fabric and in stalled it and took to other hard ware back to there shop. needless to say I paid for the hold thing. When I asked about it and complain they said that what I order, but I new different. Any way don't trust CW they will rip U off. I will order one from GTS and have it install at GTS shop in the spring of 2009 when we head up to his place. I know I want be ripped off here.