A Ton of Questions from a Want-A-Be

millsg

My wife and I are considering purchasing a 5th wheel or TT. I currently own a 2005 Chevy 1500 extended cab with a 4.8 V8. I believe it is rated for 6800lbs. I love the truck, it only has 25,000 miles on it (I have a 1989 farm truck I put most of my miles on). In spite of the 6800lbs rating, I am thinking about a rv in the 4500lbs ranges since we love to camp in the mountains. I know this knocks out most 5ers. The wife and I think we like units that have a rear living area with two recliner type chairs and one slide; however these tend to outside my self imposed limit of 4500lbs. Smaller units (25 - 27 footers) will have the slide, be under 4500lbs but not have the rear living area. Here are my questions.

1) Is the rear living area that nice of feature especially if you like spending time out of doors?

2) Is my thinking regarding the self imposed 4500lbs logical (considering my current truck)?

3) Should I be thinking about a new truck and rv?

4) Would it be better to keep the current truck (add a few features like a transmission cooler) and maybe sink additional money into one of the newer lighter units that tend to cost a little more?

5) If you suggest a new truck, what features should I look for (please be specific as to things like, engine size, transmission ratios, transmission brands, transmission coolers, etc.)

kmos

Re: A Ton of Questions from a Want-A-Be

I ordered an new truck for towing from dodge. 3/4 ton diesel 3.73 rear axel automatic long bed. To tow a 11500 lb 5th wheel. If you keep your truck and buy a light trailer you probably need a trans cooler and maybe a oil cooler for the engine. you may also need additional suspension. I added timbren rubber springs to my 2500. They bolt on the frame above the rear axel, they are easy to install in a few minutes. I found them on the internet.

DL Rupper

Re: A Ton of Questions from a Want-A-Be

Way to go Kmos.

millsg as you have indicated your current truck has weight towing limitations. If you want more space in a tt or 5er you will need to upgrade to a diesel pickup. A bigger V-8 won't give you much more towing capability in the mountains. Stay away from 2003/5 6.0L Ford Power Strokes. Too many problems.

silverjack

RE: A Ton of Questions from a Want-A-Be

Hi I have the same truck but a 2001 model. I added the tranny cooler and better mufflers.I was told to get a air intake sys. added but haven't done it yet. I bought a new 2008 24" Coachmen TT with a private front bedroom.LOVE the TT it has plenty room, cheery and no problem pulling with my truck!! :)