A Ton of Questions from a Want-A-Be

millsg

My wife and I are considering purchasing a 5th wheel or TT. I currently own a 2005 Chevy 1500 extended cab with a 4.8 V8. I believe it is rated for 6800lbs. I love the truck, it only has 25,000 miles on it (I have a 1989 farm truck I put most of my miles on). In spite of the 6800lbs rating, I am thinking about a rv in the 4500lbs ranges since we love to camp in the mountains. I know this knocks out most 5ers. The wife and I think we like units that have a rear living area with two recliner type chairs and one slide; however these tend to outside my self imposed limit of 4500lbs. Smaller units (25 - 27 footers) will have the slide, be under 4500lbs but not have the rear living area. Here are my questions.

1) Is the rear living area that nice of feature especially if you like spending time out of doors?

2) Is my thinking regarding the self imposed 4500lbs logical (considering my current truck)?

3) Should I be thinking about a new truck and rv?

4) Would it be better to keep the current truck (add a few features like a transmission cooler) and maybe sink additional money into one of the newer lighter units that tend to cost a little more?

5) If you suggest a new truck, what features should I look for (please be specific as to things like, engine size, transmission ratios, transmission brands, transmission coolers, etc.)

Grandview Trailer Sa

Re: A Ton of Questions from a Want-A-Be

Hello and welcome,
Your limiting yourself to smaller trailers with your truck, but there are lots out there in that weight range. I sell a 21' Amerilite that weights about 3,600lb. Most Ameriltes are under your 4,500 limit. Good luck

Steve H

RE: A Ton of Questions from a Want-A-Be

millsg - 5/19/2009 6:35 AM My wife and I are considering purchasing a 5th wheel or TT. I currently own a 2005 Chevy 1500 extended cab with a 4.8 V8. I believe it is rated for 6800lbs. I love the truck, it only has 25,000 miles on it (I have a 1989 farm truck I put most of my miles on). In spite of the 6800lbs rating, I am thinking about a rv in the 4500lbs ranges since we love to camp in the mountains. I know this knocks out most 5ers. The wife and I think we like units that have a rear living area with two recliner type chairs and one slide; however these tend to outside my self imposed limit of 4500lbs. Smaller units (25 - 27 footers) will have the slide, be under 4500lbs but not have the rear living area. Here are my questions.

1) Is the rear living area that nice of feature especially if you like spending time out of doors?
I think this is a matter of personal choice. My wife and I like the rear living space. We too spend a lot of time outdoors but when we do come inside, it is nice to sit in the chairs and watch TV. Having the Entertainment Center at the end of the living area is more comfortable for us rather than looking from side to side from a couch or dinette. Even with the mid-kitchen, I can sit and watch the news while the wife cooks or vice-a-versa.

2) Is my thinking regarding the self imposed 4500lbs logical (considering my current truck)?
I have never heard of anyone complaining about "to much truck" but I have heard from many that were disappointed in their TV/RV combination. Personally, I would opt for a larger vehicle or perhaps one of the "Lite" trailers around 21 ft or so.

3) Should I be thinking about a new truck and rv?
Can't answer this for you! Seems like a matter of money. If the resources are available, go for it. If they are not, you can find a way to have fun and make do with what you have!

4) Would it be better to keep the current truck (add a few features like a transmission cooler) and maybe sink additional money into one of the newer lighter units that tend to cost a little more?
I am just "talking" here so understand this is just an opinion...You have a nice truck! That being said, you really need to decide on what you want in an RV and then choose the tow vehicle. If a tent trailer has all the amenities you are looking for, you are set. If you are looking for more room and comfort you have some things to consider. Generally, the more amenities you require, the heavier the RV and the more tow vehicle you will need. What kind of camping do you enjoy the most?

5) If you suggest a new truck, what features should I look for (please be specific as to things like, engine size, transmission ratios, transmission brands, transmission coolers, etc.)
My preference would be a diesel. Chevy, Ford. Dodge...they all will serve you well. You may not need one...decide on the RV first would be my recommendation.

Best of Luck and Happy Camping!