ACK!!! no power from generator!!! Help

kb0ogt

i was just in my RV running the vacuum and i had the generator running. all of a sudden i lost power to the vacuum. and i noticed the clock was out on the microwave. turns out i am getting no power at all from the generator. i have checked all the breaker boxes, checked the fuse on the generator and all look good.

i plug in my 110 cord and i have power...

do any of you RV experts know of what i can check?? im leaving for vegas on sunday morning and want generator power.

Grandview Trailer Sa

Re: ACK!!! no power from generator!!! Help

Sounds like your Transfer Switch quit...Also, you might have a breaker on the generator itself that tripped.

kb0ogt

i checked all that and all was ok. but get this all is ok now... hummm most puzzling

G

now that is funny ,,, has this hapened before???? ,, what type of set do u have??? and as GTS said ,,, well kinda ,,, did u here a salm type noise when u plugged in the 120 volt cord ,,, u may have some dirty contacts on u'r transfer switch ,, but JMO ;)

TexasClodhopper

Contacts that have been overloaded will arc when they open under load. Over time they actually become resistors and get hot when current flows. This causes more arcing and pitting which makes it happen more, too. Then they become intermittent.

Kirk

It would help a great deal if we knew what make and model of RV you have and what make of genset.

There is probably a circuit breaker on the genset that could be open. Onan sets have one and most others do also. That is the first thing that I would look for. It is possible that the transfer device failed, but not very probable. To reset the breaker, first open it all of the way, then close it again. An Onan will also stop running if it is not putting out any voltage.

Do you have a volt meter? If so you can trace back to the set but if you don't then it is just a guessing game.