Across Canada

LoveDDs

Hello! Im new here and would like to here peoples experience. I realize this is a US forum but all the Canadian forums seem to be dead. So heres the plan...

Me and a friend want to go across canada in search of jobs and an experience. Currently we live in Toronto but I lived in Alberta last year and loved it so wanna head back out west. We both work landscaping and with the season coming to a end December/January is looking like our departure date.

A part of me says just stay in hotels/motels along the way but I was also thinking getting a small sports trailer then we can tow along with us to sleep in and store some of our stuff. I have a f350 diesel so it shouldnt be a problem towing it.

So now for the questions..

1) Is it manageable to make the drive across canada in the coldest months?
2) Will pulling a RV trailer with us make it significantly more dangerous?
3) Having a diesel will this cause for problems..Keeping the block warm (i suppose a generator is a must)

Let me know your thoughts/experiences on winter RVing or going across the country!

JordanAllen76

LoveDDs;81802 said:
Hello! Im new here and would like to here peoples experience. I realize this is a US forum but all the Canadian forums seem to be dead. So heres the plan...

Me and a friend want to go across canada in search of jobs and an experience. Currently we live in Toronto but I lived in Alberta last year and loved it so wanna head back out west. We both work landscaping and with the season coming to a end December/January is looking like our departure date.

A part of me says just stay in hotels/motels along the way but I was also thinking getting a small sports trailer then we can tow along with us to sleep in and store some of our stuff. I have a f350 diesel so it shouldnt be a problem towing it.

So now for the questions..

1) Is it manageable to make the drive across canada in the coldest months?
2) Will pulling a RV trailer with us make it significantly more dangerous?
3) Having a diesel will this cause for problems..Keeping the block warm (i suppose a generator is a must)

Let me know your thoughts/experiences on winter RVing or going across the country!

Well my first question is if you plan on driving cross county in search of "jobs and experience" can you fund all of it?

I mean bare bottoms, food, gas, a motel to shower every so often?

akjimny

Hi DD and welcome to the RVUSA Forum. Yes, it is manageable to make a trip across Canada in winter towing a trailer - BUT - if you don't have any experience towing in winter conditions, it can be dangerous. Unless your rig is well balanced front-to-rear and your trailer brakes are not adjusted correctly, the trailer can push you off the road.

Also, you will not find many (or any) campgrounds open in the winter. I found damn few of them open in the spring when we drove thru to Alaska. That means you are going to be camping in Walmart parking lots and you will have very few locations/opportunities to dump your holding tanks. And I think you will find it to be very cold camping in a small sports trailer.

It can be done - but I wouldn't want to be the one doing it. Good luck and let us know what you decide and if we can be of more help??:):)