advi ce

Cliffie

Hello,

I am looking to buy a motorhome type class a, have seen alot of them with the gm chevy 454.

Is this the way to go or is something better as in engines? The year range would be 1997 - 2000.

Thanks,

Cliffie

rjf7g

Re: advi ce

Cliffie-
Welcome to the forum. Some of the experts will chime in here I am sure.

utmtman

Well my class A has the GM 8.1 Ltr gas engine and I could not be happier. Years ago I had a small class C and class A both with the dodge 400 engines and they were ok. But not the power this GM engine has. Of course both my earlier rigs were 70's models and the present one is 2005 so there was 20 years in between the motor homes.

H2H1

Hello Cliffie, I, like Lee have a 8.1 Chevy Engine and I am well satisfied. The engine is backed up with and Allison Transmission which is well suited to move it down the road. I had the Banks Exhaust system with a super chip. BTW WELCOME :laugh:

hamdave

Welcome Cliffie, the only experience I can relate is I have the 454 on my rig, and have two friends with the 8.1. We took a trip to CO in the 8.1 loaded up to its max weight and the only issue was we were down to 25 mph coming across the mountains in western CO. It was a Tropical 34 ft, no toad(wt about 20000lb). The other one we followed to FL last winter, he was dragging a toad and it slowed to about 40 mph in the TN mountains(gvwr about 18400). My unit is a Daybreak, 26 ft (gvwr 12300 lb) and I don't pull a toad. I don't have any issues with power, but others I have talked to said it could be an issue on bigger rigs. Hope this helps

cheers

utmtman

I have not gone to the banks system yet and not sure if and when I will, but I did have the ultra power chip along with new plugs and wires installed last January and it have improved my power going up hill tremendously.

H2H1

well I don't mine going slow up the mountains, it give me time to look around and see what other are looking at.