Advice? (Toy hauler tow with LIFTED SUV)

Discussion in 'General RVing' started by 4X4CHVY, Jan 13, 2010.

1. 4X4CHVY

4X4CHVY New Member

Hi, newbie question here and ALL advice is welcome!!

I've searched 4x4, truck, RV, off-road, etc forums and asked dealerships across the USA - still not one single clue. I cannot possibly be the first one to want to tow a toy hauler with a lifted, modified, 1/2 ton ........OLD............SUV.

Would like to hear recommendations on length, weight and height of what will be practical to tow with a 1987 Chevy K5 Blazer. 4WD, V8, 350, 1/2 ton - that is NO LONGER STOCK. (<---There's the kicker!)

Basic mods (& feel free to ask cos there's PLENTY more...) Nothing is done half-@ssed. Lotta time and money into it to do it right. Skyjacker susp lift, 3" body lift, Skyjacker Nitro shocks & steering stabilizers. Custom beefed 700R4 auto w/od, Custom D-shafts & axles, 4:56 rear gears, 38" Radial Super Swampers/8 ply sidewall, Class 4 frame hitch - All work done with grade 8 hardware. Polyurethane bushings. NP208 xfer Case. Triple core radiator. (Mechanically the truck is perf. Whl bearings, Ball joints, brakes, tie rods, drag links, sway bar, etc) 8 feet wide, 16 feet long and a CAT scale weight of 5420 full of fuel. Truck stands 7'6" to the roof

I know it can pull a 70k lb (loaded) tri axle dumptruck out of sugar sand. I know it can pull down barns and drag other 4x4's around in a bumper-to -bumper tug. I know it can pull a 5,000 lb, 6 x 14 enclosed trailer with no electric brakes from AZ to FL to NH and back.

I WILL get a weight distributing hitch (and the drop for it.) I WILL get an electric brake controller. I WILL flip the trailer axles. Anything else I can do?

My best guess is a 20-24 ft trailer and keep the total loaded trailer weight under 6,000?????? Yeah? Nay?

What about HEIGHT? Most toy haulers seem to want to be 11- 12 feet high - too top heavy?

p.s. I'm not completely green so don't be shy about answering, please. I'm a CDL-A Heavy Hauler with 13 yrs of experience loading, securing and hauling all kinds of over-sized equipment, in all weather, on all possible terrains and grades. I'm my own GM/Chevy mechanic and I've maxed the capabilities of my truck on and off road for the 15 years I've owned it...... BUT THIS RV STUFF : LIGHT WEIGHT TRAILERS WITH TINY LITTLE AXLES AND TINY LITTLE TIRES, BUILT OUT OF ALUMINUM.... JUST BAFFLES ME. :bleh: