air conditioner

flongi

i have a duo therm air con basment model that doesnt work are these any good the guy at camping world says they are no good says i should buy a roof mount is he correct or trying to sell me somithing ive been diong automtive ac for 4 years and was thinking about fixing this one thanks for any help

Grandview Trailer Sa

Re: air conditioner

Welcome to the forum, but if you would use capital letters and periods, it sure would make reading your questions and answers easier.

I would get a second opinion on your AC.

vanole

I strongly agree with Ken. My M/H does not have basement air and at times I wished I did. My bother in law has it on his M/H and the only negative I see in my opinion is that he loses some basement storage. He has had no problems with his. Sure gives his coach nice lines and no condensate running down the sides in the summer and in my case would be three less penetrations in the roof for leaks. I notice no difference in noise inside but brother in law swears it quieter.

V/R
Jeff

C Nash

If you can fix it yourself I would fix the basement AC. Ck it to see what is wrong. I would not install a top unit if the basement one is repairable. On top just another possible leak. JMO

G

well if can fix it u'r self go for it ,, but i hope u have a freon license ,, cause most units have the r22 in them ,, and u can't buy it without a license ,, and also most rv a/c unit's do not have service ports ,, they are sealed unit's ,, but u can buy a saddle tap that goes into the line ,, but not worth the effort IMO ,, and also the rv main a/c unit's run at a much higher pressure than auto a/c unit's ,, u have to go by the temp scales on the guages ,, but there agian u have to install the saddle taps first ,, but give it a try ,, i am just offering my opinion and rv repair knowledge ,,, ;) :approve: :approve: :approve: :) :)

flongi

thanks for you're replies. i will punctuate from now on.I am a diesel mech of fifteen years,I do have a freon license and the system does have service ports.A friend of mine that i did a lot of side work for gave me this rv and i absolutely love it.I also enjoy talking on this forum with people that have rv knowledge as i am new to the rv world. Please excuse the stupid questions but i do have many and appreciate everyone's help.I will look deeper into this system and get back to you thank you. :)

C Nash

No question is stupid so ask away. With your knowledge of AC I would sure try to repair the basement AC. Hook up your guages to see what the pressure is running or if the compresser is coming on. Will the fan even run? I would still replace it over the top model if I had to. Who is your friend? Sure would like to have him as a friend :laugh:

Kirk

First of all, I agree with the others about fixing what you have, but in addition, the guy who said to replace it with a roof unit clearly don't know what he is talking about. The first reason is that an RV with basement air will not be wired to accept roof units and to wire one after it has been constructed would be a major challenge.

In addition, the unit that you have is build by one of the same manufacturers who build the roof units and is no doubt of the same quality. You must have talked with someone who was really ignorant.

flongi

Well upon further investagation I see there is only one sevice port on the low side. As I have said I know automotive AC but this is new to me. Anybody know why there is only one port and how you monitor pressures?
Thanks

G

well at least u got one service port ,, and on the low side ,, now i know u know auto a/c ,, but did they ever teach u that there is more than pressures on the gauges???? i bet not ,,, on the gauges there are 3 rings of stuff ,,, well for the a/c unit ,, find out what the real temp is ,, and look on the guage ,, and find that temp ,, then charge the system to the real temp ,, but be aware ,, it maybe low come mid summer ,, cause heat and atomspheric pressure change ,, and so will the function of the a/c unit ,, give it a try ,, ;) :) :approve: :approve: :approve:

flongi

I do know about the temp scale, but have never used it.Im looking at my gauges now and on the temp scale it says R 22.Youre advice is gold thank you I just learned somtithing.Ill let you know how it goes :laugh: