alaska / canada rules

dfedora

Firearm rules to go thru Canada to get to alaska .

In 2008 flew to Fairbanks AK rented an RV fished every day for trout / salmon for 3 weeks also put over 2000 miles on the rental while in Ak. Now I just bought my own rv and want to head back this summer. IT was a great time BUT THOSE BEARS ARE HUGE. Yes I saw quite a few on the rivers.

I carried a pistol never had to use it tho. But wouldn't go back without a side arm. Has anyone got permission from the Canada govt to carry a pistol accross the border???? In reading the rules it sounds almost imposible.
Most of the fishing I did were in very remote areas that why I need some protection Bear spray is ok but you need to wait for the bear to charge and come within 10 FEET before you use the spray. I think the bear bell are really diner bells for them.

ANY ideas would be greatly appreciated.

rsssc

Re: alaska / canada rules

My Brother lives in AK and he said many guides carry 20 ga pump or semi auto shootguns shootiog slugs. Harder to carry but for a fee able to transport thru Canada. Remember---shoot for the pelvic area---If bears can't run, they can't bite you

cougarkid

You can ship/mail your pistol to a friend or gun shop in Alaska.
Use it while you are there and then ship/mail it back.
A little added cost, but you have it with no hassels.

Brother in-law moved there and we shipped several pistols to him.

C Nash

Think I would want more than a pistol if I was facing a Grizzle :eek: Doubt that you will be able to get one across the border with permission. Best way is as Mike told you but the law may be stricter on that now.

dfedora

I want to thank you all for the ideas .
I will probably need to ship it to a gun shop but I will try drafting a letter to canada govt to ask anyway.
I do have a long gun I will probably carry in the motor coach but when you are fishing too hard to carry a shot gun and you may never get a chance to get it off your shoulder in time..
A 50 cal. surival pistol will bring down almost any animal if hit in a vital area but that would be last resort but they do make a lot of noise that would work 90% of the time..

Thanks again for the ideas but Canada has big BEARS too. You always need to be aware of your suroundings
be safe.

Dick

C Nash

the 50 cal would be a pretty good choice Dick and I was just funning as I would want a sherman tank if I was faceing a bear :laugh:

LEN

You must ship a pistol FFL to FFL and it must go FedX or UPS, you may not ship a hand gun even in state to a private party. You may ship a long gun even by USPS to your self out of state but not to a private party. You may not carry a hand gun through Canada, there are a couple exceptions I have heard of for competition but never seen it done. You may take a long gun through Canada but it will cost $$$ for each, you will need documentation on the long gun to get it back into the stateside.
Consult ATF regulations and Canadian regulations for updates and be sure.

LEN

Triple E

About ten years ago I carried a pistol and a rifle across. The pistol had to be sealed in a bag at the border. Then I had so many days to declare it at the exit border. The bag had to remain sealed and I had to report it within so many days or else. The rifle was no problem. But like I say that was a few years back. Could have all changed by now. Good Luck.

Kirk

It would be very foolish to shoot a bear of any kind with a pistol unless it is a very small cub. There are no pistols that will stop an angry bear. A much better approach is to learn about bears and avoid contact with them. Shooting at a grown bear with any pistol is a good way to die. I have spent a great deal of time in bear country and have had more than one encounter. Just make sure that you don't surprise the bear, slowly back away and do not make direct eye contact. And never get between a mother bear and her young.

dfedora

Kirk

I was not trying to offend anyone . As stated eariler I have no desire to shoot a grizzly bear.
Although a 50 caliber will stop a charging adult Grizzly if placed correctly.
I HAVE been around bears for 40 plus years I have shared space with them mostly black bears. But up in alaska I am on the streams & rivers fishing for salmon/ trout. If I get caught in between mom and cubs I want something to scare them off if at all possible.
I was up in Alaska for 3 1/2weeks in 2008. That was a bad year it had more bear attacks that year,than most previous years.
One mom grizzly taught her twin cubs for the secound year, that when they went fishing if they ran up on people fishing they would get rewarded with fish without getting wet paws because the people fishing would run off leaving there catch behind.... Alaska has a high number of people that go missing every year I don't want to be one of them if possible.
My wifes family have been in the medical field in alaska for more that 40 yrs. I listen to there advice. They have seen a lot over there years and its not getting better . I take thier advice on do and don't .

Dick

C Nash

Dick I agree with what Kirk says but if push came to shove I would at least want the bear to know I had give him my best even if it was just a pistol. :laugh: Better than nothing at all. Noone is offended just giving honest opinions. You will find this to be a great group here on the RVUSA forum and most of us will give our opinions. Sounds like you have had some great times in the Great state of Alaska. We were there in 2004 on a lifetime dream trip and it was all we had dreamed of. Just wish we could make the trip again.

USMC

RE: alaska / canada rules

Carry a 410 double barrel, put double ought {sp.] buck shot in one chamber and a 45 round in the other, if you get charged shoot the bear with the double ought buck that is to get his attention and make him stop his charge then when that happens shoot him between the eyes with the 45.
my sons hunts black bear in Arkansas and along with his long gun he carries a 357, he wounded a bear a couple years ago and tracked the blood trail into a cave and went into the cave after it and shot it with his 357. later Jim :8ball:

C Nash

If I meet one face to face he wouldn't want to eat me because of the smell :eek: :laugh: