allison 545 myserious oil leak

wookie

trans oil leal only happens when truck is moving. sitting idling or in gear-no leak! changed trans lines and put in new pan gasket(twice). cant find leak! its bad too. about 4 litres per day.any one had this experience. The dealer wants to put in a new trans. :(

dbarton291

RE: allison 545 myserious oil leak

wookie - 7/13/2010 10:16 PM

trans oil leal only happens when truck is moving. sitting idling or in gear-no leak! changed trans lines and put in new pan gasket(twice). cant find leak! its bad too. about 4 litres per day.any one had this experience. The dealer wants to put in a new trans. :(

Is this a gasoline engine?

Is there any evidence of transmission fluid under, or on the underside of the vehicle?

SuperMike

Surely there must be evidence of a leak. 4 Lires is getting on for a gallon, that would make one hell of a mess.

H2H1

Re: allison 545 myserious oil leak

WELL I DESCRIBE it as changing the fluid every day you drive it :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

dbarton291

SuperMike - 7/14/2010 12:36 PM

Surely there must be evidence of a leak. 4 Lires is getting on for a gallon, that would make one hell of a mess.

Unless it's a gas engine and the vacuum modulator has a broken diaphragm. The oil gets sucked up the vacuum line and burned in the engine.

SuperMike

dbarton291 - 7/14/2010 10:40 PM

Unless it's a gas engine and the vacuum modulator has a broken diaphragm. The oil gets sucked up the vacuum line and burned in the engine.

Well,I learn something every day.

However would you not then have a smokey exhaust ?

dbarton291

SuperMike - 7/14/2010 5:57 PM

dbarton291 - 7/14/2010 10:40 PM

Well, I learn something every day. 

However would you not then have a smokey exhaust ?

It may, particularly on deceleration when gas engine vacuum is high. It will be white smoke usually.

C Nash

If the undercarriage is not oiled all over it has to be sucked back through the engine. I would think this amount you should be able to see white smoke with a little blue tint to it. Let us know what you find.

dbarton291

If it's a diesel, is there a PTO on it? Could be leaking through the PTO cover gasket or elsewhere in a PTO system. ATs will also spew at highway speed out the breather if they are overfilled with oil. If it's diesel, I would check the PTO system, or cover gasket, and the calibration of the dipstick.