Allison MT 643R

opus

Temperature sending unit issue. Is this what you would call a "sump type" sending unit?

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_4XnTo50N_sc/TKZvAjszTyI/AAAAAAAAAt4/6OfN0nB08d8/s800/1001001727.jpg

If so, obviously the sending unit is gone. Can I unscrew this plug and get a replacement without taking an oil bath? Is that a dry hole beneath that big plug? 

dbarton291

Re: Allison MT 643R

The oil pan on the MT643 (later production), had the dipstick opening on one side (plugged with a plastic plug at the factory, the OEM put in the dipstick tube) and that brass plug on the other side. That hole goes directly into the pan. If you take the plug out, oil will come out of it.

Whatever kind of sender that is that's been installed into that brass plug is definitely not factory. It's probably broken off inside the plug. That's why it's not leaking.

opus

Come to find out, I guess it is a factory install. I talked to the gauge manufacturer and they are going to send me the correct sending unit.

dbarton291

opus - 10/4/2010 10:13 PM

Come to find out, I guess it is a factory install. I talked to the gauge manufacturer and they are going to send me the correct sending unit.

Maybe somebody's factory, but not at Allison.
The trans isn't original, either. The R in MT643R stands for ReTran.

dbarton291

opus - 10/5/2010 3:59 PM

My mistake then, I was told the R stood for retarder.

If it has an output retarder, these were called the MTB643.

The world transmissions have designations like MD3060R for retarder.

opus

Ok, thanks for clarifying this for me. I found the manufacture and the part number for the gauge/sending unit. Now, to find one. :)