Allison Transmission Questions

AllisonMan

Hey rudy,
Thanks for answering. I get busy sometimes and you are right on. Have a great day! :)

AllisonMan

Hello Flyboy,
I am very concerned you have an internal problem if oil is correct. Do you have any codes? Use the tower. Press both arrows at the same time . It may be one time it may be two times together, until it reads D then 1 and if there is a - after, that is good no codes logged, but if it has a D then 1 then 4 more numbers, I would have your trans checked out. I would supect a problem with C5 clutch or maybe a bad selenoid in the VB mod. Good luck and let me know how things turn out. :)

Flyboy

AllisonMan,
Thanks for the reply. We drove the coach about 400 miles this weekend. When I pulled into the driveway I checked the fluid level using the tower. First time I've done that. It flashed the following three screens: O L, H I, 0 3. Am I correct in reading that as "oil high 03 (three) quarts?" If that is truly 3 quarts high could that have caused the slipage from excess foam, etc? Is the zero in front of the 3 actually a zero thus making the number on the right the actual number of quarts?

I have read all your posts and am appreciative of the service you provide. I would like to ditto all the positive comments I have read about you in the forum. Thanks again!

Flyboy :)

rainbird-too

Thanks for the help,
I havent been on the computer lately, I changed the oil the other day and there wasnt any parts in it but it was burnt so it looks like I better hurry
Thanks again :approve:

tdsy756

quote:Originally posted by AllisonMan

Hi there. I have worked on Allison Transmissions for 27 years. If you have any questions, please post and I will check back once a week and try to answer them all. Thanks and have a great day! :)

lukeskywalker

Hi Ron,

I have a 95 Airstream 330 Cummins with a 6 Speed MD3060 Automatic push Button tranny. I'm getting this error code (d1, 22, 14) on this MD3060 95.

I've read most of these posts and haven't found that exact error code for my 3060 in here, but I thought you might have some insight. It looks like the Speed Controller based on your post to Hancock.

Here's more info:

A month or two back the city towed the vehicle and the truck driver removed the drive shaft in order to tow it. I haven't had it looked at since because I haven't driven it more than a mile since. I checked the dip stick on the Trans fluid level and it seems okay. I thought it might have leaked when they put front wheels up on the truck.

If I lived in Washington you can bet I'd have brought it right down to Ridgefield for you guys to check it out. As it is, if I can't figure out if there's a ground or short in a speed sensor I'll take it to the local Ford guys (S&C) who work on my F250 unless you know a better shop in SF or the Bay Area. I'll try to get up to see you guys next time I head north.

I'm new to coaches and to Allison transmissions, but I'm learning fast.

Oh, one more thing: This happend the first time I moved it after towing and I cleared the error code and it worked fine, this time it's not clearing. Putting it into D or R results in the same d1 22 14 every time.

Thanks Allison Man!

Griffin
San Francisco

Robb13425

quote:I have a 95 Airstream 330 Cummins with a 6 Speed MD3060 Automatic push Button tranny. I'm getting this error code (d1, 22, 14) on this MD3060 95.

I've read most of these posts and haven't found that exact error code for my 3060 in here, but I thought you might have some insight. It looks like the Speed Controller based on your post to Hancock.
that is an engine speed sensor code.

-check sensor connectors are tight, clean, and undamaged
-check speed sensor mounting bolts are properly torqued (18-21 lb ft.)
-check wiring harness to sensors has no opens, shorts between wires, or shorts to ground.

David_Rarden

Hi Allision Man ....
I read eariler in this thread that Allison recommends that you change the oil at 5000 miles? Is that true? I have a new coach (Fleetwood discovery 39S)that had 6000 miles on it when I purchased it as new ...we didnt realize the mileage until after we signed the papers ... The dealer promised that is was no big deal ... I have already had a ton of trouble with this coach electrical issues that caused transmission problems ... ( some of you may have read my post on Dan Gamel RV) the coach now has around 9000 miles after my first week out in the coach and a very troublsome history. Is my warrenty voided? will they still protect me should things get worse?
Thanks
Dave

airtime_262

AllisonMan,
Yes, I did have them drop the pan, nothing of significance according to them. He did say that the oil came "pissing out like black mud" He'd never seen anything like it. The tranny had just been serviced 9000 miles before that by a GM dealer. That was the 5th time to the shop, he flushed the tranny with syntec, then said if I have any other probs to call him back and bring it in. It still does the same thing, I think I'll drive it 'til it blows! I couldn't get any help on the piston slap, I should'a known It'd be the same with the tranny! It's a beautiful truck, but beauty gets you no where sitting in the front yard!
Disenchanted with GM!,
Airtime-

JOHNNY B

font=Arial Black][/font=Arial Black]
HI THERE AllisonMan, I just purchased a 1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor with the 275hp and 6 speed allison. The problem I'm having is when the coach is "COLD" and you drive it down the road, the transmission sounds like it is slipping from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th, only does this for a half second or so. After about 5 or 10 minutes, or when the engine get's warmed up, the what I call slipping dissappears completely. The dealer took it to a authorized allison dealer and the tech said it was not slipping, but it was a "flare". He then had it hooked up to a computer and there were no faults shown. He set the transmission for a "FAST ADAPTOR FAULT" and said to drive the motorhome at least 20 more times and it will go away. Could you please explain to me what the tech was talking about and what a "FLARE" is or is there such a thing.
I would appreciate any HELP!!!!!!

Johnny B

Doug M.

I just got my 2004 39j Fleetwood Discovery... What type of atf Is In It...??? Transynd or Dexron 111...??? Also when It down shifts Into 4th It shifts hard...?? Is thar normal...?? Doug

Dale1948

quote:
Hi there. I have worked on Allison Transmissions for 27 years. If you have any questions, please post and I will check back once a week and try to answer them all. Thanks and have a great day!<font size="2"></font id="size2">:)

I tried to post a question on the site but could not find it after I was done. The question had to do with Allison 1000 down-shifts on a pull. My new 2500HD chevy truck goes from 2000RPM to 3000RPM then drops back to 2500RPM after a few seconds. Normal? Whis I could find my other post as it was more detailed. Dale

Update! My original post ended up on the general RV forum under "shift issue".

Edited by - Dale1948 on Dec 18 2003 10:20:28 AM

Edited by - Dale1948 on Dec 18 2003 11:01:11 AM

Edited by - Dale1948 on Dec 18 2003 11:02:28 AM

AllisonMan

Hello Flyboy,
Sorry about the delay but I have been recovering from surgery. You are correct that it is 3 qts. high but this would not be enough to cause ant major problems. This transmission and cooling system hold approx. 6-7 gallons so 3qts, high is not a problem but don't add any more LOL. If there are no codes, i suggest taking to an Allison shop and have them go out on a drive with you. They may see how you are driving and make suggestions if something is not right. Let me know if you have any codes (look at previous post for direction) Thanks and have a great day! :)

AllisonMan

tdsy756,
If you are asking if driving without magnet hurt anything, no. I bet most vehicles out their that have been serviced by anyone besides an Allison Distributor or dealer lost the magnet. If you did any damage, you would have thrown a code but dont worry and enjoy! Have a great day! :)

AllisonMan

Lukeskywalker,
I do not have codes here at home but if memory sreves me right, this is an engine speed sensor code. Is it connected? If you look from the rear of trans and on the right side of the trans. there are 2 sensors, one on rear cover and one on front converter housing. The one on the converter housing is the engine sensor. These do go bad. To confirm without paying a shop to diagnose, remove the one bolt that holds clip and remove sensor. Do the same for the rear sensor. They are the same part and are just held in with bracket.Switch them. If you got rid of the 22-14 and now have 22-16 then the sensor is bad and buy a new one and install yourself and save about 150 bucks.Thanks and have a great day! :)

AllisonMan

David,
I wouldn't worry about warranty just have the 5000 mile service done.I hope you understand that all external of the transmission wiring is done by the chassis builder and not Allison. I hope everything gets fixed. What kind of problems are you having?

Robb13425

quote:I just got my 2004 39j Fleetwood Discovery... What type of atf Is In It...??? Transynd or Dexron 111...??? it left the Allison factory with approx. 50% transynd, the chassis manufacturer tops off the fluid on their line. you'll have to find out from them if you have 100% transynd or if it is a mixture w/ DEXRON.

Robb13425

quote:I tried to post a question on the site but could not find it after I was done. The question had to do with Allison 1000 down-shifts on a pull. My new 2500HD chevy truck goes from 2000RPM to 3000RPM then drops back to 2500RPM after a few seconds. Normal?commonly called "shift busyness" there should be an updated engine calibration and also a transmission calibration that your GM dealership can perform.

AllisonMan

Hi airtime,
I would say there is a big problem if the shop described the oil coming out like that. Is the breather blocked? Did Clark find any problems? The way you describe the shifts and dark oil, I would say there is an internal clutch problem and the techs looking at your truck may be focusing on just an electrical problem. Have they installed pressure gauges? Let me know what happens.

AllisonMan

Hi Johnny B,
Has anyone made sure the dipstick is calculated correctly? Do you have oil level sensor and does it show OL OK?
Let me try to explain flare. This transmissions computer times three pulses to turn on your internal solenoid. If you have a "flair", by fast adapting it will make those 3 pulses closer together causing the flair-slip to go away. If you have a harsh shift, the timing is slower causing shift to be softer. I am not to keen on just fast adapting. Something caused this to happen. Sure fast adapt will take it away temp but in my experience, it is a temp patch.If I had it here, I would like to change the internal solenoid. It seems that it is having temperature related problems. Good luck and have a great day! :)