Allison Transmission Questions

marriott

Allison man; I have a 545 Allison mechanical transmission, shifts only at 2300 no less, it is behind a 5.9 cummins and I want it to shift at 1500. I have a vaccuum modulator and a mechanical modulator , it does not make any difference. What can I do. Thanks for your help

cvrvr

AllisonMan

Is there a fitting to install in the oil cooler lines so that I can install a temperature gauge?

Thanks
George

frfd

I have a 653 trans that we are getting ready to use in a fire dept rescue truck and have some questions on the shift points the 2/3 shift is at 2200 rpms the truck is a 96 IH 4700 was a electric company truck. The 3/4 and the 4/5 is at 2200 rpm also. Is the 2/3 shift point too high? if so how do we adjust it? we are a small dept with little funds any help would be greatly appreciated

Hello AllisonMan:

Maybe you can help. I have a 2004, Monaco Cayman with a 2000 tranny and a "dead shifter pad." I drove for 200 miles just fine and then pulled into a parking lot. When I went to shift into reverse and back onto a space, the pad was dead (no power). I immediately shut the coach down.

Roadside assistance was called and I was towed (on a flatbed) to a repair shop in Maryland. After the shop checked all fuses and removed the ECU for sending to Allison for diagnostics, the ECU was returned OK. The repair shop hasn't got a clue as to the problem, and are now in communication with Monaco for help. Its now been 2 weeks. My coach won't start or shift. I believe it is still stuck in drive also.

Can you advise of a possible solution to my problem?

Thanks in advance.
John

sepisllib

These things are not supposed to happen!

I am fully aware that a motorhome is a huge assembly of parts, assemblies and equipment - but - !!!

Just because a company rolls out these assemblies should not mean that problems like this one should be pushed aside. I - personally - believe that the company should be held totally responsible for the knowledge and ability for maintenance on each unit.

I have found that it is all too easy for them (companies) to pass the buck like - that's cummings and they have to help you as it is their problem. Or - that's the chassis company's problem - not ours. This is an ongoing and serious problem and especially if the unit is out of warranty.

Possibly we should get together and form a "Owners Rights" group!!

Just thinking out loud here - as I have had my rounds with the companies and suppliers and etc. No one wants to take responsibility - and that is really frustrating.

Bill & Judy

LQ

Hello AllisonMan, I'm looking at a goshen sentry to convert to a day cruiser (private limo) for road trips. It has a 5.9 cummins and an AT545 transmission. I was trying to research a little on the tranny(I have a pickup w/5.9 cummins). On a search I found this forum and picked up a little info on the AT545. As I understand it the AT545 has a problem slipping at highway speeds, or not locking up. Is this correct? If this is, can this be corrected or not? Also I read that the 2000 series tranny does not have this problem. What year did the 2000 series start? The goshen's I'm looking at are a couple of '95's & '97. Any info would help greatly. Thanks LQ.

tug911

I have a 1990 36' country coach motorhome with a 3208 Cat with a MT-643 Allison Transmission.My question is: how often should your have the transmission service

AllisonMan

sepisllib,
It sounds like you need to take the MH in and have the output speed sensor tonewheel checked out. Also, the technitions can use a software program we call DOC and data log that shift. Data logging shows what exactly is happening at the time of that shift. If the tec cannot answer, they can call Allison and send them a file to anylize. Good luck and let me know what they find. Thanks and have a great day! :)

AllisonMan

John Simmons,
Contact Monacho coaches in Coburg Oregon. They are installing coolers that take the engine coolant, completly out of the sytem as far as touching transmission fluid if the cooler fails. I think they get them from a company called Thermo-Dynamics. Good luck and have a great day! :)

AllisonMan

Marriot,
May I ask why? The AT545 lowest calibration is 2400rpm (give or take 200rpm)You will not want to make it shift at 1500 rpm because this match-up was engineered to fit that engine to the trans rpm so the shifts will happen at the correct time in the torque path. So the answer is no, you cannot make it into a 1500 rpm shifter. The only way to lower the shift is to use less throttle and even that will only bring you down to around 2000 rpm. :)

AllisonMan

cvrvr,
What model? There are T's for most models with the exception of the LCT line. Let me know and I can let you know. Thanks and have a great day! :)

AllisonMan

frfd,
What is your engine no load? By that I mean, If you have a diesel engine (which I bet you do), if you put trans in Nuetral and step on the throttle, what rpm does the engine govern out at? Subtract about 150 rpm and that is what the transmission should shift at. I am thinking it is too low. Can you get me the part number off of the tag on the right side of the transmission above the pan splitline?
I can then look up the number and tell you what it should shift at. Thanks and have a great day! :)

AllisonMan

John T.,
Is there power going to your shifter?
Does the coach start?
Has anyone disconnected the shifter and shifted manually?
You either have loss of power or ground to your shifter, loss of ignition to shifter, or a bad shifter. I do have paperwork on that shifter at my ofice. Unfortunatly, I am at home for the holidays. Let me know if any of these suggestions helps. Good luck. :)

AllisonMan

sepisllib,
Another thing a qualified distributor or dealer of Allison can do is what is called "reset to unadaptive shifts" and then fast adapt. This will set up shifts much quicker than you just driving it. These transmissions have memories for each driver and if someone put on a few miles, it is going to take the unit a few thousand miles to set up to you, the new driver. resetting to unadaptive shifts will speed up the process. Good luck pal!

1997beaver

Hello Allisonman, I have a 1997 Beaver with Allison Transmission, which i mentioned before. It does not seem to downshift at times going up long grades (Wtec II) If I manually downshift its works fine and then i hit"D" when I reach the summit. My ECU has the following numbers,
29523023 MD3060 RPM 2400 Basic CIN 080041Z028N
can you tell me what it was set up for?

thanks

1997beaver

Hi looked again and the CIN number may be 0800412028N the 7th number looks like Z or 2 thanks

cvrvr

Sorry about that. I have an Allegro on a W-20 with Allison 1000 trans

Thanks for the info
cvrvr

glock17

I accidently posted this same question in general RV, sorry about that.

Hi,

Sorry to be so vauge but I'll try my best.

I just bought a 1983 school bus with a chevy motor/chevy chassis, the guy who sold it to me said it has an allison transmission, the plate on the tranny with all the details is so worn I cant get any numbers off it. This is a 4 speed automatic transmission with no park. It will not shift into a lower gear when going up hills and now that I have replaced the transmission cooler lines (they had holes) and power washed the tranny it won't shift into fourth gear now. Do you have any suggestions for me? I also noticed that when pulling up to a stop sign it downshifts pretty hard just before stopping it did that even before I replaced the lines. Thanks so much for any suggestions you may have.

-Grant

Hello again AllisonMan:

:question: 1. Is there power going to your shifter? 2. Does the coach start? 3. Has anyone disconnected the shifter and shifted manually? 4. You either have loss of power or ground to your shifter, loss of ignition to shifter, or a bad shifter.

Answering your questions by number:

1. No, there is no power to the shifter.
2. No, the coach does not start.
3. I don't believe so, but I'm in Virginia and the repair shop is in Maryland. I'll call them to suggest that.
4. I believe they have figured that out, and that's why they've ordered a new shifter. Monaco sent them the wrong one originally, and now are waiting on one from Allison. Hopefully, that will work.

On a side note ... they found 2 wires that had been rubbing on the emergency brake drum which wore through the plastic insulation. The wires were not broken, but were probably grounding out. They spliced them back together, but still no power to the shifter.

The repair shop advised me that was probably the cause of the original problem. I asked them if the circuit was fused and they said a fuse was not found.

Now going on 3 weeks to get my coach repaired and back on the road. Hopefully, this experience is not repeated for me or anyone else.

Thank you very much for the help and keep up the good work. I hope you had a nice Thanksgiving and will have a Merry Christmas.

John ;)

william phelps

Allison Man

I wrote you a year ago about a repower project I am doing. I have a 28ft airstream motorhome and I want to diesel it. My goal is to have plenty of power and get some where between 14 and 17 mpg. I have a friend who has done a similar transplant and is getting this kind of mileage. My coach only weighs 12000 lbs. The motor I have purchased is 93 230 cummins with an allison 3060 tec11. The engine seems to be a good choice, but the trans is huge. I could save 300 lbs. with a 1000. Can a 1000 be mated to a mechanical cummins? Would the 3060 cost me milage over the 1000. Another question that is haunting me is, will the severe downshift of the 3060 be to harsh for such a light coach. Do you have any other Ideas for what trans I should choose?