Allison Transmission Questions

JonnyT

Greetings to ALLISON MAN;
I have a 1996 diesel pusher with an 8.3 Cummins mechanical connected to an Allison MD3060R transmission. I pull a 24' trailer with my toys in it and the whole shebang (both units)weighs 40,000#.
I find that in many situations, the transmission has difficulty shifting from 4th gear to 5th gear. It seems that the engine will go to governerd RPM Maximum and just stay there.
I especially notice the problem when using the cruise control. I have to take the cruise OFF and then let the pedal back a little to get the transmission to shift up.
I have it happen manually when climbing a slight grade. If I back off of the throttle, and let the engine shift at around 2100-2200 it pulls well in 5th.
Can the shift point for 4th be reset so it will shift a little earlier at a lower RPM?
I just hate to run at Maximum RPM's when the next gear will pull OK.
Seems like a big stretch between 4th and 5th in the gearing.
Looking for your thoughts on the subject.

AllisonMan

tbfisher,
No this is not typical even tho temp ok are 180-220 in normal operation. I would have it checked out. It may be as simple as a bad sensor. Let me know what they find. Thanks and have a great day! :)

AllisonMan

polecat,
The only temp sensor exposed to the elements is the OEM one they put in the fitting. Allisons is in the valve body module. If you go over 230 deg it will give you a code, if you go over 260, it will lock in range. If you had a bad sensor, you would have a code. One question I have is do you have an exhaust brake that may stick in the cold? If this sticks on you should see smoke out of your exhaust. This would also feel like a drag effect. Please let me know what they find. Thanks and have agreat day! :)

AllisonMan

tbfisher,
Those temps are way to high. Please do not let your gauge go to 300 before you stick it in neutral and give around 1200 rpm to cool it down. You may cause damage to the transmission t those temps. Thanks and have a great day! :)

AllisonMan

dutchdieselpusher,
Thank you! I hope you have a wonderful time in the states and make sure when you test a used MH with the Allison world transmission, press the arrows together at the same time either once or twice until it reads D1 and hope after it it has a -. (D1-) If you have numbers after the D1, you have logged codes make sure that they are not major codes like slippage. Thanks again and have a great day! :)

AllisonMan

Pool973,
gas and diesel Allisons have different torque converter ratios, valve body calibrations, speedometers, pan and with or without pto. The big thing is the TC which can cost quite a bit and the VB work. I suggest you contact your nearest Allison dealer or distributor and give them both part numbers so they can do an Extranet dump to compare the two. Thanks and have a greta day.

pathfinderxlt

Hello AlisonMan, I tried to post here but did it wrong. I need to weld some brackets to my frame of my RV. Please tell me the correct way to go about this so not to do any damage to my trans ECU. I have a 1995 ( built in 94) Georgieboy 37' DP 230hp turbo Cummins with a 3060 6spd. If you could e-mail me the info it would be better I don't get alot of time to use my computer if not I'll try to keep checking back here. Thank you, Rich B. :cool:

geekdom01

AllisonMan,
I purchased new a 2001 Chevrolet Crew Cab HD 2500 4x4 8.1l with the Allison trans. I have followed GM's recomendations to the "T". I even allowed them to flush my trans when they recomended. So far I have had to (The Chevrolet Dealer)replace the Transmission position sensor and the Transmission Pump x 2. The second time that the pump went out was aprx. 2000 miles after the recomended trans. flush. I am running 285x75x16 tires and have a 3.73 axle ratio with the posi. I pull trailers locally occasionally but most often just commute. From day one (factory tires) my trans has made a whinning sound and seems to lose its mind occasionally. False neutral when yielding, hanging in to low of gear, not going into drive immediatly after shifting there. The list of symptoms seems to be common place with this trans. but not in one vehicle. Did I get a lemon, tires my problem, or is this what I should expect out of this trans. Finally, is flushing the trans. a good idea. I have heard two schools of thought on this and I would like to hear yours. Thanks for your help, Geekdom01

PaulSebra

Good Day,

I have the option of buying one of a couple ambulances that I will convert to an RV Camper ... I need help/htoughts/guidance on power train options. Both have mileage in the 180,000 range and about 9,000 hrs ... One is an International 4700 chassis with a DT466 engine and an AT545 tranny ... the other is a Cummins 8.3 engine with an MD 3060 tranny.

I realize that at these miles maintenance is probably the key issue, but both look good, so let's assume the maintenace has been okay ... does one tranny have an advantage over the other in this situation. I know the AT545 is a classic "fluid drive" and the MD 3060 is electronicly controlled. I believe the AT545 is a four speed and the MD is a six speed.

Thanks for any thoughts at all on this issue.

Paul

strakenl

Hi:
I have a 4speed Allison Transmission in a 1999 Winnie. Have heard that the input shaft will not take much more power/torque then I have, 275 horse (don't have the torque figure) but it is a manual shift with no push buttons. Can this transmission be rebuilt to take a bit more power, or is their a kit that can be put in. I have pushed the dodge transmissions by adding a new valve and converter etc.

Ken

sepisllib

AllisonMan.

Been a while - but have a question.

Have 1993 Tourmaster. Thinking of boosting HP just a little - from 250 to around 300.

Engine is C 8.3 indent 44669014
Trans is MD 3060 indent 6510001798

Will the trans handle the extra HP and torque?

Bill

GUYSNYDER

I am refering to life expentancy of the trans. I have a 4700INT w/466 and MT643. I have 175,000 miles on it. Developed a fluid leak from front end of trans. Dealer said when fluid leaks from front, the trans needs to be replaced with exchange unit. He stated it is not worth the time and money to repair the cause of the leak because the trans is contaminated with shavings and garbage. Is there a rubber type seal in the front end? Does this sound OK to you?
Thanks for your reply!

st687

Allison Man can I have the Allison in my Foretravel power flushed with the B&G machine and change to sny oil. :cool:

AllisonMan

gulfstar83,
Did you happen to check what code you have? I think you may have an output speed sensor code since these symtoms match. Please read previous instructions on how to check for codes and e-mail me at rfranzen@pacificdda.com and I will have a better idea of what is wrong. Thanks and have a great day!
:)

AllisonMan

Hello people,
Well, time has come to retire this thread. The reason is I have been so busy at work, I cannot answer all your good questions in a timely manner and for that I feel rotten. I will answer all questions posted before todays date.
I have really enjoyed this past year, but as you can see, I was not ready for this much of a response for which I feel proud!
Thanks to everyone who either submitted a question, or even just browsed through this post. I think I learned as much as you did!
Please, feel free to stop by and just say hi anytime you are passing through Ridgefield, WA (just north of Portland Oregon) exit 14 , west 1 block turn left 1st street on left past Cheveron station. I would be more than happy to show you around and would be excited to meet you all.
Again, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!!! :) :) :)
AllisonMan

Bush70

Allison,
Let me be the first to say you will be missed more than you could ever no. You have been a great help and I wish you a wonderfull future and hope to meet up with you someday. Thanks again and good luck.
Bill

cvrvr

Allison

You will be missed. In the past year or so of reading this thread, I have learned alot from you.

Hope you can enjoy your "retirement".

Maybe with all the responce that you have, Allison Transmission could to do something to set a website.

Best of luck

George

geekdom01

AllisonMan,

I have enjoyed (silently) reading your advice over the last couple months. I wish that I had found this forum sooner and posted my concerns then. Thank you for your time and good luck to you and yours.

geekdom01