Allison Transmission Questions

Don Page Sr.

HI, My Gulfsteam is giving me a noshift light and down shifts when I hit a hard bump. Bridges are one that causes it to do this. I have reset the codes a couple of time but didn't know what the code indicated. Do you have a soft copy of the codes that are displayed or where I can get them. i suspect an electrical problem and have checked battery terminlas etc. to no avail. Thanks..Don Sr.

jpwelte

Don<
I just had our allison trans. serviced and it seems that most of the problems are electrical in nature. There is a wire harness that goes from the trans ecm to all of the different components of the driveline. The most common problem they told me is the throttle position sensor. If this is not working right, or there is a wiring break somewhere, the trans will shift erratically. I had ours worked on at a FCCC Oasis network facility in Morton, IL and they found the problem quickly and got it fixed. Hope this helps.

Jeff
Rockford, IL

jpwelte

Don

If you have the manual that came with your unit, the trans error codes should be in the back appendix. I don't know if all of them read the same, but if you let me know what it is coding, I will check my manual to see what it says, even though we have different transmissions, the codes might be the same.

Jeff
Rockford, IL

jpwelte

Derek:

the codes d1 21 12 in my book shows that your tps (throttle position sensor) is not connected or there is a wiring problem. the other code 56 22 is also sensor related mostly with the ecu. You most likly have a break in the wiring harness somewhere or a bad speed sensor on the turbine output.

I had similar problems with my 2003 Winnebago Journey with the allison 3000 mh. The codes, I'm sure are the same for most of the units.

Jeff
Rockford, IL

Don Page Sr.

Hi Jeff,
Sorry for all the posts, I didn't know they were going out and I kept trying to post. I'm not very good at it I guess. Thank you for your welcomed response. I checked the codes and they came up d-1, 3-5, 0-0, - -, d-1, - -, d-1 .
I believe the system reset at 0-0? I believe you are right on about the wiring as the unit shifts smooth and worked as it should until I am cruising along and hit a hard bump, like a bridge edge, then the do not shift light comes on and the transmission shifts down and a few times the cruise dropped off. I have checked the battery cables cleaned and tightened them. I also checked the wiring in the compartment with the six relays, and checked the tranny fluid levels, The transmission runs cool. I have the exhaust brake which I love, it works great. My front tires are 16 ply regroovable and hard at 98 lbs., gives quite a jolt when hitting edges in the road. maybe I need to sofen the ride somehow. Montana highways are not very smooth. Thanks for checking codes in advance. Kind regards and God Bless America..Don sr.

jpwelte

Don,

My book shows the code of 35 00 to be a power interruption real time write interruption. Check
a. ecu connectors
b. vim connectors
c. power connections are battery direct
d. ground connections are battery direct
e. ignition switch connections are correct.

My guess is that you have a break in your wiring harness somewhere that is intermittent or that your ecu might have a loose connection, as it only happens when you go over hard bumps. All of this computerization can make things difficult to diagnose, and fix, but at least it gives you somewhere to start. You are probably going to need to take it in to have it hooked up to an allison troubleshooting computer and try to recreate the problem by moving wires. That's the best advice I've got. I would definately reccomend a shop that specializes in motorhomes though, as I had a bad experience at a truck shop.

Hope this helps, and good luck.
Heading to Florida in a couple of weeks. Hope she hangs together.

Jeff
Rockford, IL

jpwelte

Don,

In regard to your cruise control dropping out at these times.. Your throttle position sensor is tied to the cruise control as well so that is why it drops when the trans computer goes haywire. Your display will store up to 5 codes. d1, d2, etc. when the problem goes away and you clear the codes, it will stay clear until the problem happens again. Anyway, just an afterthought for you.

Jeff
Rockford, IL

whiteram96

Im trying to help a friend. He has a 93 Europremier with a 250 cummings, and either a MD 3060 or a 3560, it is a push button. It seems to be a temperature issue. When its cold and the ignition is switched on the lights flicker in the shift selector and then go out. The veh wont start then. After a while when the temp goes up the lights stay on and the veh will start. If by some chance the veh did start, and it has once, the lights have flickered, gone out and then the trans is in "N". What are my possibilities?

bethdale

Hey Allison Man,
I have a 2003 GMC 2500HD Duramax with the Allison Transmission. I have been experiencing problems with the shifting. If I try to accelerate too quickly, or hit resume on the cruise control, the transmission gets stuck in a gear, rpm's go up, but my speed does not increase. When towing a 11000 pound bumper pull camper, the truck does not seem to have the power it previously had. The truck has 65000 miles and all recommended preventive maintenance has been done. I changed the tire size around 6,000 miles earlier. Please offer any suggestions. I have an appointment at a GM dealer on Monday.

dbailey

I have a 1993 Europremier with a cummins and a md3060 allison. If you remove the ECU from the side mounting by the driver's seat it will unplug with 2 plugs on the bottom. The top portion of the ECU will come apart and you will find copper or brass contacts that are dirty. These need to be cleaned. I cleaned mine with a pencil eraser but if something has been spilled you will need to use a non-conductive cleaner. About a year or 18months after that happened to me my ECU quit and Allison does not repair. They only sell new at a price of $2500.00. Good Luck

B9Timber

Allison Man. Are you still with Detroit/Allison near Eugene, OR? I need help with a conversion Ht70 to 700 series. You interested? Doug

B9Timber

Allison Man. Are you still with Detroit/Allison near Eugene, OR? I need help with a conversion Ht70 to 700 series. You interested? Doug

water12

Hello there. I have a chevy 2500hd with an allison trans. I was wondering if someone could help me identify the little circular aluminum piece just to the left of the allison filter. It is round with 3 cutouts in it and about the size of a dime. Mine is leaking transmission fluid. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I posted this in the main forum and then realized that this area would be more appropriate. Thanks so much.

icrman

So when it is fixed. What is it they say the problem is?
And what are the symptoms? When it was worked on did they find worn clutches or ??

icrman

And what are the symptoms? When it was worked on did they find worn clutches or ??

icrman

emecgeorge

hello Allisonman,
I have a 2004 dodge 3500 dually. it has a 5.9 ltr ho cummins, Factory automatic and 4:11 gears in it . I would like to know if there is an allison trans swap for it. I use my truck for work, as I am an rv transporter and need something a little bit stronger and more reliable. any info would be most appreciated thanx. :)

emecgeorge

hello Allisonman,
I have a 2004 dodge 3500 dually. it has a 5.9 ltr ho cummins, Factory automatic and 4:11 gears in it . I would like to know if there is an allison trans swap for it. I use my truck for work, as I am an rv transporter and need something a little bit stronger and more reliable. any info would be most appreciated thanx. :)

emecgeorge

hello Allisonman,

emecgeorge

hello Allisonman,