Allison Transmission Questions

Cedaredge

I have recently removed my complete 34' Oshkosh chassis with Cummins 230 and MT643. The replacement chassis was a complete '98 Freightliner with Cummins 275 and MD3060 tranny. (Fair amount of work for ONE 70 year old.) Anyhow, it's now finished. The previous coach on the Freightliner was a fire totaled (above the floor) 34' Discovery. As received, I noticed that the tower (touch-pad control) was lying on the floor, removed from the dash mount. There was an orange jumper wire from pine 2 to pin 3 that was cut at the tower connector. Not knowing if this was original installation or occurred during demolition I reconncted the jumper. Upon attempted starting I noticed what looked like double "Z" in the tower window. The local Allison dealer didn't have a clue. After disconnecting the jumper the tower window indicated double "N" and the chassis started.
Question: Does anyone know what is the purpose of the jumper and/or when it has a function?

Al Wells

Allison man...any truth to not changing tranny fluid if never done...as in seals opening etc? I've heard horror stories of transmissions working fine, until the fluid was changed...

Al

smity1373

Hello Allison Man. I have a CAT300 3126 with a Allison 3020 World Trans. When the ambient temperature is below 40 degrees and the unit has sat over night, it seams as if the transmission is slipping and the unit will not climb even the slightest incline. I assume that the trany needs to warm up before it functions properly. If I start the engine and let it idle, will this warm the tranny oil?

smity1373

Hello Allison Man. I have a CAT 300 3126 with an Allison 3020 WorldTrans. When I first start the unit it seems as if the trannyu is slipping and it will not climb the slighest incline. This only happens when the ambient temperature is below 40 degrees. If this is because the transmission needs to warm up will letting the engind idle for a period of time heat the trans fluid?

smity1373

Hello Allison Man. I have a CAT 300 3126 with an Allison 3020 WorldTrans. When I first start the unit it seems as if the trannyu is slipping and it will not climb the slighest incline. This only happens when the ambient temperature is below 40 degrees. If this is because the transmission needs to warm up will letting the engind idle for a period of time heat the trans fluid?

Al Wells

Hmmm...the last post on this topic site by Allison man shows as Aug 28 2005...does that mean we have lost him? Bush 70?

Al

Bush70

Allison Man said he would not be back. It got to much for him. I post once in a while to try and help. I don't know as much as he dose but I have be in the bussiness a long time. I would change the fluid. If it has never been done the fluid can break down and cause problems. Is it syn. or dexron? How many miles? Also, I have many Allisons. When they are cold they don't like to move right away. It is normal. If the problem persist after warm up then you have a problem.
Hope this helps.

Al Wells

Thanks Bush70! The unit I was looking at has 350,000 miles on it. The owner admitted that he had never bother to change the tranny oil...just fill it when needed...he was not sure of the oil type, but I doubt it was synthetic...

Perhaps we could make you the new honourary Allison man :)

Al

WartHog

Hi, Bush70,

Thanks for taking over since AllisonMan 'retired'.

I am in the process of looking at used motorhomes. Many/most have Allison transmissions. Since I have never owned one, I don't know how to run the diagnostics and can't find any instructions on the Allison site.

Can you please explain the steps needed to run diagnostics? (Or point me to a web site with that info.)

Also, are there any codes which commonly come up that could be considered 'minor' or 'routine'?

Or, on the other hand, codes which are surely the 'kiss of death' for the tranny?

Thanks again, for helping us all out.

AllisonMan

The response to slow to engauge after sitting is wrong. This is not normal. First check your oil level because the oil expands after it warms up and you may have a leak when you sit out of an old style dipstick plug. The other problem is in pre 1999 vehicle, the main pressure regulator pin in the VB may be worn or broken which will bleed off main pressure.
I am still available to answer questions, just shoot me an e mail @ rfranzen@pacificdda.com.
Thank you and have a great day! :)

AllisonMan

The response to slow to engauge after sitting is wrong. This is not normal. First check your oil level because the oil expands after it warms up and you may have a leak when you sit out of an old style dipstick plug. The other problem is in pre 1999 vehicle, the main pressure regulator pin in the VB may be worn or broken which will bleed off main pressure.
I am still available to answer questions, just shoot me an e mail @ rfranzen@pacificdda.com.

AllisonMan

AllisonMan

Please forward questions to rfranzen@pacificdda.com
Thank you and have a great day! :laugh:

foutsdw

I have a 1988 Rockwood RV with a allison 4 speed auto transmission. I have been trying to find the model number. I stopped at a truck service place and was told it was a 545.

A concern is going down mountains etc. It was recommended that I not get any kind of exhaust brake that it's hard on the engine???

Any thoughts?

Martin Brenneke

to Allison Man If you were putting in a trans temp gague where would you put it? In the out line to radiator,in line back from radiator, or in the pan? It is a 1000 5 speed in a 38 ft motor home.

Martin Brenneke

to Allison Man If you were putting in a trans temp gague where would you put it? In the out line to radiator,in line back from radiator, or in the pan? It is a 1000 5 speed in a 38 ft motor home.

Martin Brenneke

Bush70

I stand by all my responces and disagree with AllisonMan. How ever, this is his forum so I will stay out! He said he was all done and I was just trying to help.Sorry AllisomMan. Good luck to all.

sdjuandar

Allisonman,
I have a Monaco Executive 1992. I lost my speedometer and odometer. I make the assumption that they are electronically driven, whereas that would be an extremely long speedo cable.
Any possible suggestions as to troubleshooting and or repair?

I believe that I have found the sensor on the output of the transmission. It is approximately 2-3" square and has two wires coming off of it.

Waiting patiently in Central Oregon.
sdjuandar
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
quote:Originally posted by AllisonMan

Hi there. I have worked on Allison Transmissions for 27 years. If you have any questions, please post and I will check back once a week and try to answer them all. Thanks and have a great day! :)

sdjuandar

Allisonman,
I have a Monaco Executive 1992. I lost my speedometer and odometer. I make the assumption that they are electronically driven, whereas that would be an extremely long speedo cable.
Any possible suggestions as to troubleshooting and or repair?

I believe that I have found the sensor on the output of the transmission. It is approximately 2-3" square and has two wires coming off of it.

Waiting patiently in Central Oregon.
sdjuandar
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
quote:Originally posted by AllisonMan

Hi there. I have worked on Allison Transmissions for 27 years. If you have any questions, please post and I will check back once a week and try to answer them all. Thanks and have a great day! :)