Allison Transmission Questions

lightfoot2

RE: Allison Transmission Questions

Mr. Barton,

Thank you one more time for all that information. I got the gasket kit (ouch!) and the Transynd (ouch!) and am ready to upgrade. Just waiting for a warmer day.

Regarding superman, I can even remember his mother.

dbarton291

lightfoot2 - 2/14/2008 9:06 AM

Mr. Barton,

Thank you one more time for all that information. I got the gasket kit (ouch!) and the Transynd (ouch!) and am ready to upgrade. Just waiting for a warmer day.

Regarding superman, I can even remember his mother.

Glad to help. I know about those prices. Ouch is right. The biggest killers of the AT series transmission was a lack of maintenance, the shift linkage being out of adjustment, and crappy modulator systems. If you feel ambitious, get a mechanics' tips book, or a service manual and read up on that stuff. Google usually turns up some interesting facts.

lightfoot2

AllisonMan,

I just changed fluid and gasket on my AT542. I notice that two corners of the pan are bent downward. These corners have wide spacing on the pan bolts and apparently were not able to withstand the pressure of the new gasket as the adjacent bolts were torqued. (Just 12.5 ftlbs, but about 5 times, as the gasket compressed.)

If these corners leak, is it ok to drill holes and place small through bolts at these corners? The flange on the trans at these points is about 3/4" wide and 1/4" thick.

Thanks in advance for your help.

dbarton291

I'm not Allisonman, but I have looked at lots and lots of AT500s. I would be surprised if you end up with a leak in this area due to the cause you describe. As for drilling and tapping the case to add bolts, my opinion is definitely not.

unlucky

Re: Allison Transmission Questions

Hey-I need some help finding a ECU for a MD3060. I am new to this so am not sure what I really need. I know that it is an electronic shift selector that I need with two sets of prongs on the bottom. It came out of a 1997 Gulfstream class a coach. Used would be great. I just don't know where to look.
Thanks for any help.

I bought mine from an Allison dealer (Valley Frieghtliner in WA) for my 1994 Southwind. It was about $3000 for just the ECU without the shift pad. I believe the shift pad was another $1500. They will need all the numbers off the ECU and possibly your VIN. I just brought my ECU in to the Allison dealer so they could get all the right numbers. They will need to program the new ECU for your vehicle (at an additional cost). Beware, one Allison rep/shop tried to sell me a refurbished one for $5000. They said my ECU wasn't available new anymore and were discontinued. I went to a larger reputable dealer and got a brand new unit for less.

Jon

unlucky

ouch!!! That is crazy how expensive! Thanks for your help. It is greatly appreciated.
Dave

lightfoot2

Mr. Barton,

Thanks for the benefit of your experience. So far, you are right -- no leaks at the two bent corners. But, I haven't really had it up to temperature yet.

You confirm my apprehension about drilling into the transmission flanges on the corners. I really don't want to do that.

I guess AllisonMan has retired or grown tired of this stuff. Thanks for filling in.

AllisonMan

Hello,
I just happened to pop in here to check out my thread that I started a looong time ago. I still work at Pacific Power Products in Ridgefield, WA but I also work for Allison Transmission now in Sales.
Code 21-12 is a throttle position sensor code. If you cannot get it to go into gear, what is wrong is at your engine throttle arm there is another cabelr (our TPS) I would bet that it is not returning all the way. Does your tower blink when you put it in gear? If it does it is reading that you have your foot on the throttle even though you do not. Anything over 9% throttle will not allow the transmission to go into gear. Also if you idle higher that 900 rpm, it will flash and not go into gear. A simple fix if it is not returning would be to put a return spring on the cable to make sure it is coming back all the way.
You all can still e-mail question and when I have time while working, I will try and answer them all.

rfranzen@pac-power.com

Thank you and have a great day!
Rick Franzen
AKA AllisonMan

AllisonMan

Hi JlJeeper,
Your issue is a little different than the last answer I gave. Sounds like your cable became disconnected at the throttle arm or the throttle position cable itself broke but with motorhomes, it is usually just disconnected. When this happens, the transmission defalts to 100% throttle shifts and has all shifts up and down at there highest setting no matter where you put your foot on the throttle, full or part. Check back on the engine and see if the cable became disconnected and let me know thru email rfranzen@pac-power.com
Thank you and have a great day! :)

AllisonMan

RE: AT 542 filters

lightfoot,
Always with Dexron you need to change the filter on an AT542. If you go to Allisontransmission.com there is a locater for local dealers or distributors in your area. The filter usually comes in a kit with a new gasket. I do not recommend using one over. As far as silicone, a little is ok and I mean just a slight sheen because if the silicone gets inside the pan, it could clog up the filter or stick a valve. Dexron 3 will not be available soon, you will have to ask for TES389 which is the new name since GM sold the Dexron name.

Thank you and have a great day!

AllisonMan

jljeeper,
I swear I did not read down LOL. Sounds like you found the bad cable-good job. Wanna job? LOL Have a great day!

AllisonMan

dbarton,
I would like to thank you for fillin in here. You seem to be very knowledgeable on the Allison Transmission. If ya ever wanna move west and work for a distributor, give me a call! LOL
Have a great day!
AllisonMan rfranzen@pac-power.com

AllisonMan

Unlucky,
Google McCoy Freightliner in Portland, OR. They have a surplus trailer that they have a lot of take out ECU's at very cheap prices. You will not need to buy the shift pad, it can be removed from the old ECU and installed on the different one.

Have a great day!

AllisonMan

Jon,
Unless there was a problem with the shift pad itself, there was no need to replace it. They are all one piece but really come apart with 2 different part numbers and is easy to do. Next time give Pacific Power Products a call in Kent and they can send you in the right direction before you go to this expense ever again.

G

Damn talk about bringing up the past ,, where the hell did this come from ,,, this is old stuff ,, but informing ,, not that i have not already read it ...
:)

Ernest55

I just purchased a 95 Newmar DutchStar with a cummins 5.9 230hp. and a allison 6 speed 6030 trans. My problem is that after driving about 35 miles , in the rain, then stopping for about 15 minutes , then getting back in the coach , starting to back up, the display with the 2 R started blinking fast, then faster the it went blank and I came to a complete stop!
After a few minutes I tried again, but the 2N's would only come on for about 2 seconds!
After camping all night, got up, started the coach , move about 50 ft, same thing!
I removed and cleaned 3 large cannon plugs that had a small bit of corrosion on them. got it to go , but all the way home the number blinked , at first fast , then slower. After taking a short trip 3 miles, it did it again!!
I pushed both the arrows and the mode button , but no joy,,HELP!!!!!! :(

beaver123456

hi i got a 88 beaver 3208cat it shifts weird as im not very smart, ilive in the mountians it seems to drive better if i shift manualy any help !! it shifts hard all the time also upshifts are hard too