Allison Transmission Questions

dbarton291

RE: Allison Transmission Questions

Bassinger - 3/4/2009 2:26 PM

I have a problem with my Allison V730 transmission. It starts out running fine and shifting the way it is supposed to but after it seems to warm up (after 50 or 60 miles) it drops back to 2nd gear and I can't go over 50 miles an hour. It can be helped by letting off the accelerator. The bus is kowned by a Gospel Group and we can find no one in our area to tell what is wrong. We have replaced the Modulator valve but no help.

Just another suggestion. To find an Allison authorized service outlet, go to www.allisontransmission.com and click on the service locator.

What area are you in? If I know of somebody, I might be able to offer a suggestion.

deliveryguy

I have a 1992 gmc with an Allison at 545 and a v8 366 gas. I found an at 545 from a 1981 International mvm 404 gas. Will they mate?

dbarton291

deliveryguy - 3/8/2009 4:46 PM

I have a 1992 gmc with an Allison at 545 and a v8 366 gas. I found an at 545 from a 1981 International mvm 404 gas. Will they mate?

Each transmission will have an assembly number, sometimes labeled as a part number on the ID tag that's on the side of the transmission. You need to get a parts catalog, or take the numbers to someone with a parts catalog to see what's different between the two. The transmissions may have different engine RPM ratings, speedo drive gears, etc.

dbarton291

deliveryguy - 3/8/2009 8:28 PM

International part #23012289 GMC part# 156221144

Go to www.allisontransmission.com and select service locator. Give it your location and it will show you the authorized Allison service outlets in your area that can compare the two assemblies.

I think you've got one too many numbers in that GMC number. You might want to check it. Have your serial numbers handy too, just in case. In fact, that GMC number doesn't look like any combination of GMC numbers I have ever seen. 15681144 maybe?

dbarton291

Re: Allison Transmission Questions

Just for fun, whaddya bet that GMC trans is 4000RPM with a sixteen tooth speedo gear and the IHC is 3600 RPM with a five tooth speedo? Let's see how close I get.

dbarton291

The suspense is killing me. Deliveryguy, did you check that GMC number and get the two transmission numbers compared?

Triple E

Hello again dB. Well I have my temperature gauge and sensor now. As I have explained earlier, on the cooling hose is a sensor which I believe is the HIGH temperature alarm to my dash.

Question, Should I leave the HIGH temperature installed and add the analog sensor or remove and replace the HIGH temperature switch with the new analog sensor?

I don't think that I need both but would like to have your advice.

Thank you again in advance.

Ps: The new gauge has a built in High Alarm.

dbarton291

Triple E - 3/29/2009 11:20 PM

Hello again dB. Well I have my temperature gauge and sensor now. As I have explained earlier, on the cooling hose is a sensor which I believe is the HIGH temperature alarm to my dash.

Question, Should I leave the HIGH temperature installed and add the analog sensor or remove and replace the HIGH temperature switch with the new analog sensor?

I don't think that I need both but would like to have your advice.

Thank you again in advance.

Ps: The new gauge has a built in High Alarm.

It's really your call. If you want a personal opinion, if it were my coach, I'd use the gauge/alarm combo to keep from adding "stuff" into the trans cooling system and not lose any functionality the OEM already built in.

Triple E

I am not sure what you are saying. I think you are saying to replace the binary switch with the analog transducer but not sure. Currently I have no transmission indication other than "Transmission Oil Hot".

Yes I would like to have your "personal opinion", please. Thank you.

dbarton291

Triple E - 3/30/2009 2:53 PM

I am not sure what you are saying. I think you are saying to replace the binary switch with the analog transducer but not sure. Currently I have no transmission indication other than "Transmission Oil Hot".

Yes I would like to have your "personal opinion", please. Thank you.

If you now have only a hot oil indicator, and you have purchased a gauge that reads out temperature and also has a hot oil indicator, my opinion would be to use the latter in place of the former.

Just make sure the sending unit for the temperature gauge is in the "to cooler" oil line.

Triple E

Yes, you have set me straight on the cooling lines. Thanks again db. -Steve

( < = to cooler, > = from cooler )

:)

LasVegasboyz

Question to all you Allison Gurus. I have a 1994 Allison MD3060 6-SP married to Cummins C8.3 in my motorhome. I am having some intermittent problems that are cold weather related. My transmission (during cold weather conditions after long stops - couple of weeks) shifts from 1st gear to 2nd gear, and then goes to error code 5622 (2nd Gear Range Verification test) and "Do Not Shift". Turn the motorhomme off, and turn it back on it comes up again. After doing it several times, it shifts to 3rd gear fine, but does not shift from 5th gear to 6th gear and gives error code 5655 (5th Gear Range Verification Test). Turn it on and off a couple of more times, and it is good to go. Last week I drove 600 miles with fine shifting after the initial 20 minute, 20 mile or so problems. The problem does not seem to happen when it is hot out (I am in Las Vegas).

Secondly, during cold weather (Las Vegas cold) when outside temperatures lows are in mid 30s and high in 50s (that is cold for Las Vegas), when I start the motorhome after sitting for some time (month or so), the transmission does not initially ingage (for about 5 minutes or so). I press the key pad "D" but no tone or transmission engagement. After about 5 minutes or so of idle time, the transmission finally shifts and I am good to go. The above Range Verification Test problem recently started, but the cold start-up issue has been there ever since I bought the motorhome in 2000. If I drive the motorhome weekly, it shifts fine at the start-up (no problems there).

Took it to the local Allison dealer, and they cannot duplicate the problem. Once I drive there, it gets to normal operating temps, and no problems (unless it sits for a while). They have pulled the codes and changed the output sensor. Very frustrating. Any ideas where to look for this. Or what can I tell Allison folks to look at.

I had a simular cold weather condition where my rig wouldn't start or even crank in the cold morning but by the warm after noon it would start fine, The shift display panel would sometimes be blank in the morning and ok in the afternoon. I was able to duplicate the problem by puttint the ECU in the freezer for 10-15 minutes. Then when I confirmed that the problem existed I then took a hair dryer and warmed the ECU for a few minutes and the problem went away. It was a problem with the ECU. I have a 1994 Southwind with the Allison MD3060 with the 5.9. I could repeat the problem everytime. I sent it out to a repair facility and they did find several components that needed resoldering (surface mount resistors mostly) They did get rid of the cold temp failure but it came back with a error code (don't remember what it was but it is probably in prior posts in this posting). I think the error code didn't even pertain to my coach setup. I still think it just may have needed to be reprogrammed after the repairs but I just ended up buying a new ECU.

The ECU I am refering to is the unit that the shift pad connects to. Controls the shifting program.
Good luck

LasVegasboyz

Thanks for the information jljeeper. I read your previous post. I plan on trying to warm up the ECU with a hair dryer when it gets cold and the startup shifting starts acting up. Even though my problem seems to be somewhat different in the sense that regardless of the outside temperature, if I use the coach every week the transmission shifts into the gear effortlessly. The problem only happens when it is cold and the coach sits for a while.

Second, the ECU and the display comes on when cold. It just wont shift into gear for 5 minutes or so. The ECU is mounted in one of the front storage bins under the coach, so I doubt there is a big temperature change in the bay within 5 minutes of engine start-up.

However, just the fact that a solid state ECU is impacted by ambient temperature (based on your experience) leads me to believe that some of the electronics or connections may be temperature related.

I was 45 degrees today in the morning, and I took the coach to the local Allison dealer without any problems. It was sitting for about 4 days. The Allison mechanic suggested that I paste a picture of him in the coach as the problem disappears when he is around :laugh: .

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Jesse

I also have a question for the allison gurus. I have a 2000 dutchstar With a 8.3 cummins and a md3060. The trans shifts funny on all upshifts. The downshifts seem ok, maybe a little firm but I think its alright. On the upshifts it act like it goes into gear, then out, then in again, then out and finally in for good. It happens in all the gears and does not change with tranny temp. It also acts the same in economy mode, just at 2100rpm instead of 2500.

Once the tranny finally finds the gear it seems fine. It runs down the highway with no issues at all. The fluid looks and smells old but is not burnt. I didnt find anything scary in the filters either.

I don't know if its related or not but sometimes the cruise control will kick out for no reason. ?????

I just bought this thing so I don't have alot of history on it. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

dbarton291

Jesse - 4/19/2009 6:52 PM

I also have a question for the allison gurus. I have a 2000 dutchstar With a 8.3 cummins and a md3060. The trans shifts funny on all upshifts. The downshifts seem ok, maybe a little firm but I think its alright. On the upshifts it act like it goes into gear, then out, then in again, then out and finally in for good. It happens in all the gears and does not change with tranny temp. It also acts the same in economy mode, just at 2100rpm instead of 2500.

Once the tranny finally finds the gear it seems fine. It runs down the highway with no issues at all. The fluid looks and smells old but is not burnt. I didnt find anything scary in the filters either.

I don't know if its related or not but sometimes the cruise control will kick out for no reason. ?????

I just bought this thing so I don't have alot of history on it. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like an intermittent throttle signal from the engine, which would also relate to the cruise control not functioning properly.

Jesse

Thanks for the response.

I drained the fluid today and pulled the filters. I also pulled the valvebody for a good inspection.There was a couple of chunks of what looks like gasket material stuck in the screen. One piece was about 3/8'' wide and 1/2'' long. It was hard to tell if it there was any of the separator plate gasket missing though. I was going to ohm test the solenoids and put it back together with new gaskets and refill with dextron for now. I'm going to switch to transynd when this issue is resolved.

Anything else I should look at while its apart?

When its back together if its not fixed I'm going to put it on the computer to see whats going on. Not sure what that will tell up being its not setting any codes.

dbarton291

Jesse - 4/19/2009 10:47 PM

Thanks for the response.

I drained the fluid today and pulled the filters. I also pulled the valvebody for a good inspection.There was a couple of chunks of what looks like gasket material stuck in the screen. One piece was about 3/8'' wide and 1/2'' long. It was hard to tell if it there was any of the separator plate gasket missing though. I was going to ohm test the solenoids and put it back together with new gaskets and refill with dextron for now. I'm going to switch to transynd when this issue is resolved.

Anything else I should look at while its apart?

When its back together if its not fixed I'm going to put it on the computer to see whats going on. Not sure what that will tell up being its not setting any codes.

The scenario I described will not necessarily set any codes. If you get it hooked up to DOC, watch the speed signals also to check for intermittent signals.

Jesse

I got it back together yesterday. Took it for a road trip and it was the same. Rechecked for codes and for some reason it now came up with a 22-14. I swaped out the speed sensor and it shifts the way it is supposed to now. Not sure why there was no codes before but I'm thrilled its woking good now.

Thanks again for the help. ;)