Allison Transmission Questions

downard1

Re: Allison Transmission Questions

And I just ordered a troubleshooting manual for this tranny yesterday. It is backordered for two weeks though.
I also just remembered, I checked with DD about buying a TPS, and they said there are many different ones all with different length cables. I didn't think there were enough variabales between the transmission and the throttle linkage on the injector pump to justify a lot of different cable lengths.

dbarton291

downard1 - 11/12/2009 5:18 PM

And I just ordered a troubleshooting manual for this tranny yesterday. It is backordered for two weeks though.
I also just remembered, I checked with DD about buying a TPS, and they said there are many different ones all with different length cables. I didn't think there were enough variabales between the transmission and the throttle linkage on the injector pump to justify a lot of different cable lengths.

The TPS is chassis mounted. That's why the different lengths. These go in a lot of different configuration vehicles. You want the TPS body mounted ABOVE its connection to the engine.

dbarton291

downard1 - 11/12/2009 5:13 PM

Hey dbarton291, or allisonman. I've been checking since I've had time lately about the switch from the MT643 to the MD3060. Williams DD in Columbus is in over their head, maybe. I spoke with the service rep and he didn't think it could be done, until I told him that there are folks on this site who have RV's running the same set up. I had a friend who runs a truck shop check with another service rep, and he indicated that they (Williams DD) don't have the tools to set up the transmission in the way I'm looking to do it. i.e. with a TPS. As the truck I'm pulling the tranny from has an electronic Cat in it, they seem to think that my donor transmission is communicating directly with the engine ecu for engine speed since it's an electronic engine. Doesn't the transmission pick up engine speed from a pickup on the input side of the tranny. Any way, I am assuming that what they are saying is, if I do get the tranny installed into the truck, they don't have any way of programming the transmission. Why, I haven't a clue. They suggested that I find another engine/tranny setup similar to what I am trying to do and get the serial number from that trans and ecu, then there is a chance they can get the appropriate information.

To anyone else out there who has an rv with a mechanical 8.3 cummins mated to an Allison MD3060, could I get the make and model of your RV. Also, it would be helpful if I knew who you either bought it from, or who you would take it to for service of the transmission, since Columbus, Ohio doen't have the capability to work on such a setup.

Help please.

Thanks in advance.

The electronic engine is communicating directly with the transmission for throttle position, % torque and some other stuff.

You will need to change the trans ECU program to be for a mechanical engine.

The trans does read engine, turbine and output speed from its own sensors.

downard1

Thanks for the input. I just got off the phone with Ron at Pacific Allison Detroit a couple hours ago, and he's going to work up a parts list for me for the hardware I'll need, and he's getting me a name and number of a guy in Idaho who can build a custom wiring harness that will be a simple plug in for the MD3060 and my Ford main harness. Let me just say it here, the folks in the great northwest are awesome. Going out of their way to help out. Here in Ohio, I'm treated like an idiot, and they haven't a clue as to what's going on.
Again, thanks to all who have been so helpful.

GeneH

RE: Allison Transmission Questions

Hey Allison Man,

I thought I read somewhere that I could perform some tasks (like, sit on flat road, in drive, Parking break off, etc…) and the Allison Transmission would report the Motorhome’s weight on the touch pad’s two character display. I’ve been searching the web for information on this feature long enough to make me think I’m just senile.

Do you know if this feature exists?
If it does how can I use it to estimate my coaches weight?

Thanks

Gene

Triple E

GeneH - 12/10/2009 3:29 PM

Hey Allison Man,

I thought I read somewhere that I could perform some tasks (like, sit on flat road, in drive, Parking break off, etc…) and the Allison Transmission would report the Motorhome’s weight on the touch pad’s two character display. I’ve been searching the web for information on this feature long enough to make me think I’m just senile.

Thanks

Gene

Hello Gene, welcome to the site. I am not the Allison Man, but, I will give you my thoughts. In order for the Allison to read the weight of your coach there would have to be at least four load cells mounted some where between the frame and the wheels. I have only heard of this on special units where the load cells are mounted between the box and the frame. And even then it will have it's own read-out. So the first thing that I would look for are the load cells. No load cells, no weight. However I could be wrong and the Allison Man will set one of us right. :) :question: :cool:

:8ball:

dbarton291

GeneH - 12/10/2009 6:29 PM

Hey Allison Man,

Thanks

Gene

I don't know where you heard that, but it's 100% not true.

It may have an oil level sensor in it to read oil level on the display, but it doesn't weigh the coach.

LasVegasboyz

Hi all,
I need to get a new Allison WTEC 2 Shift Pad for my 1994 motorhome. My existing shift pad has trouble shifting when it is cold. The Allison service people told me that I need a new shift pad, but it would cost about $1500 just for the pad. I have been looking for a lightly used or re-man type pad. What is the best place to purchase a shift pad? I may go end up going to the dealer for the $1500 pad, but thought I will check other places first. It is just an inconvenience to wait 3-5 minutes for the pad to heat up to shift, when cold. Once we get going, there are no issues. Any help is greatly appreciated. The shift pad on the motorhome is the WTEC 2 type that is mounted onto the ECO through a ribbon cable (i was told), not the remote shifter.

I have the exact same setup on my 1994 Southwind. I had also had that issue when sometimes I couldn't get it to shift and had to just sit there until I could finally shift the darn thing. You probably have the same issue. Before you spend all that money - take your pad apart and clean the contacts. It is much like a remote control for your TV. It has a rubber button pad with a PCB contact below. You can use a pencil reaser to remove the buildup from the PCB (printed circuit board) and follow with a soft cloth and alcohol. Mine has never shifted so nice as after I did this. I realized I was having to push way too hard on the buttons ever since I got the MH. After cleaning it, it responds to a very light touch now. You may want to give this a try. Nothing to lose.

Hope this helps
Jon

LasVegasboyz

Hi Jon,
Well, I tried your cleaning the pad technique, and it is working like a charm. Part of me want to jump up and down, but the skeptical me says it could only be because the shift pad was inside in 70 degree for almost 5 hours. In any case, it never even shifted like this in hot weather. Very light touch and the transmission shifts through all gears/neutral. I am very optimistic that this was it. Thanks for taking the time to respond. If you are ever around Las Vegas area, I will buy you a dinner :) .

Boy you got right on on it. I'm pretty confident it will stay working, I cleaned mine a year and a half ago and it works better than ever. Darn I was just in Vegas this summer :)

Triple E

Hey not bad. 730 and Db both learned something new today. Who said you can't teach the old pro's new tricks. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :eek:

Triple E

jljeeper - 1/25/2010 5:49 AM

I have the exact same setup on my 1994 Southwind. I had also had that issue when sometimes I couldn't get it to shift and had to just sit there until I could finally shift the darn thing. You probably have the same issue. Before you spend all that money - take your pad apart and clean the contacts. It is much like a remote control for your TV. It has a rubber button pad with a PCB contact below. You can use a pencil reaser to remove the buildup from the PCB (printed circuit board) and follow with a soft cloth and alcohol. Mine has never shifted so nice as after I did this. I realized I was having to push way too hard on the buttons ever since I got the MH. After cleaning it, it responds to a very light touch now. You may want to give this a try. Nothing to lose.

Hope this helps
Jon

Jon, When you take the shift pad apart, is there anything special to look out for. Like springs, or any little gagets that might fall out?

Triple E

It has been a year and a half, I don't remember any surprises. If I remember correctly the rubber membrane is the spring. No springs or loose parts that I remember. It was a very easy job. This is something I learned years ago as a computer tech in the early 80's, when customers would complain about having to type too hard on their keyboard and some buttons not working very well. Eraser and a alcohol rag was a sure fix every time. What you are cleaning is the PCB and Rubber membrane. The membrane has some sort of conductive material below each button that contacts across traces on the PCB, very simple and durable design. I guess after years it gets tarnished and needs cleaning.

Jon

Triple E - 1/26/2010 10:47 PM

jljeeper - 1/25/2010 5:49 AM

I have the exact same setup on my 1994 Southwind. I had also had that issue when sometimes I couldn't get it to shift and had to just sit there until I could finally shift the darn thing. You probably have the same issue. Before you spend all that money - take your pad apart and clean the contacts. It is much like a remote control for your TV. It has a rubber button pad with a PCB contact below. You can use a pencil eraser to remove the buildup from the PCB (printed circuit board) and follow with a soft cloth and alcohol. Mine has never shifted so nice as after I did this. I realized I was having to push way too hard on the buttons ever since I got the MH. After cleaning it, it responds to a very light touch now. You may want to give this a try. Nothing to lose.

Hope this helps
Jon

Jon, When you take the shift pad apart, is there anything special to look out for. Like springs, or any little gagets that might fall out?

Triple E

Thanks Jon, I used to have to do the same thing on some instrumentation boards in the power plant. Kind of embarrassing that I never even thought about it. Getting old. :( ;)

dbarton291

730 - 1/26/2010 11:11 PM

HE's Back :cool: :cool: :cool: :approve: :approve:

Still in China. Just popping on when I have a good internet connection. I'm in a place called Xuzhou.

dbarton291

Triple E - 1/28/2010 12:41 AM

db, are you working for the CIA or somthing? :laugh: :eek:

Actually, I'm over here on an assignment from CONTROL helping agent 86 locate and terminate a new KAOS facility we know is operating in this region. But don't tell anyone. It's a secret. And yes, 99 is way hotter in person. Wait my shoe phone is ringing....................gotta go.