Allison Transmission Questions

Allison Expert

Re: Allison Transmission Questions

H2H1, Thanks, thats good to hear. I know I probably haven't been doing this as long as dbarton, but I learned from someone with 40yrs expierance and was just suggesting something else to try....I don't hold grudges by all means, so I am not going anywhere. :) :)

dbarton291

H2H1 - 4/15/2010 9:51 AM

well I think both of you are real smart and glad both are on this forum. I know that if I need advice I can ask here. Bury the hatchet we need both of you. :laugh: :laugh:

Hmm. I didn't think I had my hatchet out.

H2H1

well even if you didn't have it out, you got my message. I graduated from Roddy King School Of Charm and I have a master degree in BS :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve:

transman1975

RE: Allison Transmission Questions

Dear AllisonMan,

I am currently working on an Allison 545 trans. Okay, let's start from the beginning. The school's complaint was initially the bus wouldn't shift at all. During overhaul, my rebuilder notified me the the center support was in bad shape due to the cut sealing rings. Okay, so to make a long story short, a banner kit was installed along with a governor and electronic modulator. 100 miles later, exact same thing. Won't shift at all. After removing and inspecting it for the second time, the center support was corroded again around the sealing rings. Clutch packs were in good shape. The second time we replaced the torque converter. After the second installation, we have 1 shift. That's it. We have changed everything except the valve body, which is being done as I type. Is there anyway you can lend a helping hand. It would be greatly appreciated.

Josh Thrower
Columbus, GA
Transco Transmission
Joshthrower90@yahoo.com

bluehair

I have a GM 4106 with an 8V-71 with an Allison V730 automatic. The tranny will not shift into high gear on flat ground. Top speed is about 54 MPH. Only when it goes down a steep hill and the speed builds to 60 mph will it shift into high. Then it will stay there as long as I keep the speed above 50 mph. Otherwise it will downshift and I have to find another steep hill. Any thoughts as to what is wrong?

dbarton291

bluehair - 4/17/2010 2:53 AM

I have a GM 4106 with an 8V-71 with an Allison V730 automatic. The tranny will not shift into high gear on flat ground. Top speed is about 54 MPH. Only when it goes down a steep hill and the speed builds to 60 mph will it shift into high. Then it will stay there as long as I keep the speed above 50 mph. Otherwise it will downshift and I have to find another steep hill. Any thoughts as to what is wrong?

One likely scenario is the engine isn't making its rated RPM or power to make it up to the 2-3 upshift point. The 2-3 upshift in most V730s was not modulated. You can't influence it with the throttle pedal.

Another possibility is the shift point is set too high and needs to be turned down, or the 2-3 shift signal valves have the wrong spring in the bore.

Another possibility is the lockup clutch isn't coming on. Can you feel the lockup shift? It occurs sometime in second gear.

It could be an output governor problem, but that should affect the 1-2 upshift point also.

dbarton291

transman1975 - 4/16/2010 2:51 PM

Dear AllisonMan,

I am currently working on an Allison 545 trans. Okay, let's start from the beginning. The school's complaint was initially the bus wouldn't shift at all. During overhaul, my rebuilder notified me the the center support was in bad shape due to the cut sealing rings. Okay, so to make a long story short, a banner kit was installed along with a governor and electronic modulator. 100 miles later, exact same thing. Won't shift at all. After removing and inspecting it for the second time, the center support was corroded again around the sealing rings. Clutch packs were in good shape. The second time we replaced the torque converter. After the second installation, we have 1 shift. That's it. We have changed everything except the valve body, which is being done as I type. Is there anyway you can lend a helping hand. It would be greatly appreciated.

Josh Thrower
Columbus, GA
Transco Transmission
Joshthrower90@yahoo.com

What vintage unit are we talking about and how many miles are on it?

I assume when you say the center support was corroded around the sealrings, you mean the hub that has the two sealrings was worn. If it's corroded, you got chemical action going on, like water in the oil. If it's worn or damaged, that's another story.

If you put an aftermarket replacement piece on the center support that replaced the sealring grooves, did you happen to look in the back of the fourth clutch housing to see if there's anything in the area the center support sealrings seal against to indicate a problem? Like out of round, rough, grooves, etc.?

What did the sungear shaft bushings and the main shaft journals look like? Was anything worn like something was rotating off center?

If you really want to WOW the customer, once you get this figured out, get rid of that dang electric modulator and change the vehicle to a cable modulator. It'll shift like it's supposed to.

94 Prima Vista

Allisonman and any other knowledgable parties. I'm a newby to the Allison and I apologize in advance if I missed the answer to my question in my search.

I have a new-to-me '94 Vogue Prima Vista with the 300hp 8.3L Cummins and the Allison MD3060-R transmission. It seems to shift fine but when I do a hot fluid level check (level, neutral, press shift-up & shift-down at the same time), it give the the following code that I haven't been able to track down - d1 69 32

Can someone point me to a resource showing those codes?

Thanks in advance,

Jay

dbarton291

94 Prima Vista - 4/17/2010 1:24 PM

Allisonman and any other knowledgable parties. I'm a newby to the Allison and I apologize in advance if I missed the answer to my question in my search.

I have a new-to-me '94 Vogue Prima Vista with the 300hp 8.3L Cummins and the Allison MD3060-R transmission. It seems to shift fine but when I do a hot fluid level check (level, neutral, press shift-up & shift-down at the same time), it give the the following code that I haven't been able to track down - d1 69 32

Can someone point me to a resource showing those codes?

Thanks in advance,

Jay

69 32 is an ECU failure code. Clear it and see if it comes back. If it was active, I doubt you'd have any shifting at all.

I don't think Allison has a publication available for download that lists the trouble codes. You may have to go to www.allisontransmissionpublications.com and buy a troubleshooting manual for that.

However, I think you have WTEC II controls on your transmission. Here's a link to the WTEC II Operators Manual. I think you'll find this useful.
http://www.allisontransmission.com/servlet/DownloadFile?Dir=publications/pubs&FileToGet=OM2157EN.pdf

Here's the link to the WTEC II mechanics tips booklet, too:
http://www.allisontransmission.com/servlet/DownloadFile?Dir=publications/pubs&FileToGet=MT2159EN.pdf

Rick from Paso

I have another stupid question. We took our '92 Eagle out on it's maiden voyage to Sedona, AZ. It did great except for the awning billowed, the wind was really blowing. I kept carefully checking fluids in the tranny and engine. The tranny lost about a quart of fluid every 500 or so miles. No puddles at stops. We we got home I degreased the tranny and found where it was coming from. On the passenger side of the tranny where the manual shows that a dip stick could go, there is a rubber plug!! It's one of those compression plugs with a bolt down the center! I noticed it seemed canted a bit so I loosened it and pulled it up a bit and fluid started coming out, it's a long rubber plug!! Is this a factory plug? It obviously leaks going down the road. I can't believe it is a factory plug. What should go there? I wonder now if someone stripped the real plug and put this in it's place. What to do now? Thanks do much for your help!!

dbarton291

Rick from Paso - 4/17/2010 10:39 PM

I have another stupid question. We took our '92 Eagle out on it's maiden voyage to Sedona, AZ. It did great except for the awning billowed, the wind was really blowing. I kept carefully checking fluids in the tranny and engine. The tranny lost about a quart of fluid every 500 or so miles. No puddles at stops. We we got home I degreased the tranny and found where it was coming from. On the passenger side of the tranny where the manual shows that a dip stick could go, there is a rubber plug!! It's one of those compression plugs with a bolt down the center! I noticed it seemed canted a bit so I loosened it and pulled it up a bit and fluid started coming out, it's a long rubber plug!! Is this a factory plug? It obviously leaks going down the road. I can't believe it is a factory plug. What should go there? I wonder now if someone stripped the real plug and put this in it's place. What to do now? Thanks do much for your help!!

That's actually a quite common question. That is a factory plug. The transmission is made to have a dipstick tube on either side depending on the OEM's requirements. The unused opening is plugged.

Remember the plug you're looking at has been in there for eighteen years. It may need to be retightened, or replaced. I don't think the current design plug is the one you're looking at.

Rick from Paso

Thank you so much for your help, you are invaluable! Every time I tighten the plug, it backs out of it's hole. I take a few wacks at it with a rubber mallet, tighten and wack. I wonder what the proper technique is. Thanks again for your help. We have a trip planned to Death Valley in 2 weeks. I was getting worried!

dbarton291

Rick from Paso - 4/18/2010 1:43 AM

Thank you so much for your help, you are invaluable! Every time I tighten the plug, it backs out of it's hole. I take a few wacks at it with a rubber mallet, tighten and wack. I wonder what the proper technique is. Thanks again for your help. We have a trip planned to Death Valley in 2 weeks. I was getting worried!

I would just find an Allison dealer or distributor and buy a new one. Cheap insurance against a leak.

bluehair

I checked the tranny fluid tonight and it does not show on the stick. I had it checked 400 milles ago and it took 3 gallons to get it to the right level. So, I have a leak somewhere. A big leak. I'm not a mechanic but I'm gonna guess this is a big part of my problem, correct? :question:

dbarton291

bluehair - 4/22/2010 1:32 AM

I checked the tranny fluid tonight and it does not show on the stick. I had it checked 400 milles ago and it took 3 gallons to get it to the right level. So, I have a leak somewhere. A big leak. I'm not a mechanic but I'm gonna guess this is a big part of my problem, correct? :question:

That sure would contribute to it. Better get that fixed first.

Rick from Paso

Dave,

I successfully stopped the tranny leak by tightening the plug, we went to Death Valley this weekend and it didn't leak a drop. Thanks again for your help. I will get a new current plug to replace the old one. I have another question. The tranny shifts awfully hard when you put it in gear, drive more so than reverse. I have to step on the brake pretty hard to keep it from lurching went I put it in drive. It might be my imagination but it seems to get worse the warmer the tranny gets. Is this adjustable or indicative of any problem? I worked it pretty hard this weekend, lots of steep hills and manual down shifting to slow the motorhome down long 8% grades. Thanks again for your help, I want to do what ever I can to avoid trouble on the road.

dbarton291

Rick from Paso - 5/4/2010 3:02 PM

Dave,

I successfully stopped the tranny leak by tightening the plug, we went to Death Valley this weekend and it didn't leak a drop. Thanks again for your help. I will get a new current plug to replace the old one. I have another question. The tranny shifts awfully hard when you put it in gear, drive more so than reverse. I have to step on the brake pretty hard to keep it from lurching went I put it in drive. It might be my imagination but it seems to get worse the warmer the tranny gets. Is this adjustable or indicative of any problem? I worked it pretty hard this weekend, lots of steep hills and manual down shifting to slow the motorhome down long 8% grades. Thanks again for your help, I want to do what ever I can to avoid trouble on the road.

The neutral to drive, and drive to reverse shifts are called garage shifts. The quality of these shifts is supposed to adapt automatically like the range shifts. That means the control system adapts these shifts automatically, and it's not manually adjustable.

The garage shifts never really adapt to be totally smooth so you will feel them. That is by design.

The quality of the garage shifts, and the noises that happen when they occur are subject to vehicle influences such as axle backlash, movement and noise in the suspension, any worn u-joints, etc. I wouldn't worry about it unless it becomes head snapping or real noisy.

Next time you change the fluid and filters, if you haven't already, look for metal debris anywhere. That's one of the best indicators of impending tranny trouble on the road.

Keep those u-joints greased. The six speed has two overdrives. That means the driveline runs some pretty good speeds on the highway.

Glad you fixed that leak!

DB

washtub51

hi all. new to the site but not rving 15 years live aboard.so a challage to you, i want to avoid the damage of water intrusion into my md3060 tranny by using a seperate stand alone oil cooler with 2500cfm fans and a bypass set at 180, an interesting web site (http://www.transtar1.com/catdownload.asp?id=73) on page 21 and page 34 refer to oil coolers that they indicate and have told me that are for remote stand alone coolers but are hesitant to say that this is all you need or that this will work. i have talked to the area rep for allison in atlanta with no satifaction, even the allison site indicated remote coolers avalible for the md 3060 but wont tell me which one. so what do u think,what do u know.at the end of the day all i want is to keep the glycol out of the tranny. james healey 98 dynasty 6cta8.3 325 md3060 ,coach weight 29000 lbs pulling a 24 foot trailer at 7000 lbs, dual boost guages,egt, trans temp guage, side radiator model.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Emoticons:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum : RVUSA Main Forum----------------------+ The NEW RVUSA.com+ General RVing+ Destinations+ Full Timing+ RV Tips & Tricks+ Beginning RVing+ TalkbackRVing In Class----------------------+ Class A / Diesel Pushers+ Class B Motorhomes+ Class C Motorhomes+ Towables+ ClassicsTrailer-ing----------------------+ Horse Trailers+ Utility, Enclosed, Cargo, and Vehicle Trailers+ Hitches & Towing QuestionsTalk to RVUSA.com----------------------+ Announcements+ Suggestions/Comments
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Actions
Toggle e-mail notification

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Registered to: Netsource Media © 2010

Gary801

Allison Man:

I drive a 2009 Chevy Silverdo with the Allison Xmsn. No where in the manuals does it give a maximum temperature if can heat up to. Just after purchacing the P/U, I was climbing Cabbage Hill and before I learned how to use the transmission properly, it climbed upto 220 degrees. I pulled over and let it cool down. I retired a year and a half ago from the National Guard and part of my job was driving HEMTT tankers, which all had Allison Transmissions. Redline was 220 degrees so you always kept it below that. My transmission gage in the pickup is digital so have no idea at what temp I should start worrying. I have called the dealer and they don't know any more than I do. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Triple E

Hello Gary and welcome to the forum. I am not the Allison man but he has helped me with my temp. questions.

I have the MD-3060. The max temp for mine is 300 degrees F. What model of Allison transmission do you have. Our expert is, dBarton, is traveling right now but does check this forum from time to time. You should have your answer in a couple of days. -Steve