Allison Transmission Questions

bandalop

RE: Allison Transmission Questions

Hey AllisonMan,

I have a 04 Southwind on a workhorse chasis and a 5 speed allison transmission. I took it to a local shop recently concerned about whinning noise. They said everything checked out. Of course they couldn't get the tranny to whine. What it does, intermittently, is shift normal but the tranny will keep a high pitch whine for 30 seconds to a minute or more then it goes away. Is that anything to be worried about? This happens most of the time from 4th to 5th gear and usually on a down shift to get over a hill.

JackG

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experiences. My 2005 Freightliner M2-106 Business Class with the Allison
3000 TRV has started to slip/engine revs at approx 33mph + or -. Changed fluid with Transynd at 25K, now has 75K miles. Recent inspection shows no metal in pan, no color change, no odors and no codes. I'm pulling approx 15K 5th wheel. Allison Techy said sometimes the solonoid terminals can become overheated and brake connection? Wanted to check with you before spending a lot of green. Thank you.

Clark

Hi,
I have a 91 country coach Savana. My transmission temp gauge will read around 200 for the first 30 minutes and then go up to 275 and stay there under normal highway driving. It goes a little above that in stop and go driving. I have never had the transmissin temp. warning light come on. I also noticed the transmission gauge does not look original to the coach. I have checked the trans. fluid level and it looks normal and clean. The coach seems to shift and downshift fine. Also is it normal for the RPMs to go to 3000 before shifting to 4 gear.

Thanks, Clark

Triple E

Re: Allison Transmission Questions

Hello Clark and welcome to RVUSA. I am not the guy to give you an answer on your transmission, sorry. But 3,000 RPMs sound kinda of high. My red line is 2600 PRMs. When was the last filter and oil changed. 275 sounds high. I have reached 200 in the mountains but normally run 185. I do know that 300 degrees F is the shut down point.

Sometimes it takes a while for the Allison Guro to reply, so I am just throwing out what little, and I do mean little, bit I know. :approve:

Boomerang

Hi Allison Expert,

I have an MH 3000 transmission with 20K miles on it. The transmission started to miss downshifting from 5th to 4th and 3rd gear in the mountains. The problem is now worse in that is won't downshift properly when slowed in traffic. It still downshifts properly from 6th to 5th. I am able to manually downshift. The fluid level is OK and no user fault codes. What could be the problem?

Thanks,

John

dbarton291

Probably not a problem. Just make sure you fluid level is correct. sometimes if fluid is real low, on a hill the filter will suck air and sometimes make some funny noises.

dbarton291

Allison Expert, are you still with us?

What do you mean by, it misses downshifting? Can you describe the problem in more detail? Does the engine lug or shake?

dbarton291

bandalop - 7/16/2011 7:38 PM

Hey AllisonMan,

I have a 04 Southwind on a workhorse chasis and a 5 speed allison transmission. I took it to a local shop recently concerned about whinning noise. They said everything checked out. Of course they couldn't get the tranny to whine. What it does, intermittently, is shift normal but the tranny will keep a high pitch whine for 30 seconds to a minute or more then it goes away. Is that anything to be worried about? This happens most of the time from 4th to 5th gear and usually on a down shift to get over a hill.

Probably not a problem. Just make sure you fluid level is correct. sometimes if fluid is real low, on a hill the filter will suck air and sometimes make some funny noises.

dbarton291

Boomerang - 8/9/2011 10:05 PM

Hi Allison Expert,

I have an MH 3000 transmission with 20K miles on it. The transmission started to miss downshifting from 5th to 4th and 3rd gear in the mountains. The problem is now worse in that is won't downshift properly when slowed in traffic. It still downshifts properly from 6th to 5th. I am able to manually downshift. The fluid level is OK and no user fault codes. What could be the problem?

Thanks,

John

Allison Expert, are you still with us?

What do you mean by, it misses downshifting? Can you describe the problem in more detail? Does the engine lug or shake?

dbarton291

JackG - 7/19/2011 4:23 PM

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experiences. My 2005 Freightliner M2-106 Business Class with the Allison
3000 TRV has started to slip/engine revs at approx 33mph + or -. Changed fluid with Transynd at 25K, now has 75K miles. Recent inspection shows no metal in pan, no color change, no odors and no codes. I'm pulling approx 15K 5th wheel. Allison Techy said sometimes the solonoid terminals can become overheated and brake connection? Wanted to check with you before spending a lot of green. Thank you.

How many RPMs does the engine increase when it slips and how long does it last?

dbarton291

Clark - 8/8/2011 10:06 AM

Hi,
I have a 91 country coach Savana. My transmission temp gauge will read around 200 for the first 30 minutes and then go up to 275 and stay there under normal highway driving. It goes a little above that in stop and go driving. I have never had the transmissin temp. warning light come on. I also noticed the transmission gauge does not look original to the coach. I have checked the trans. fluid level and it looks normal and clean. The coach seems to shift and downshift fine. Also is it normal for the RPMs to go to 3000 before shifting to 4 gear.

Thanks, Clark

Depends on your engine. What is its full load governed speed?

HeatAir

Just found this forum and just bought a used 2006 Bounder. We went over it fairly well but have a silly question.

How do I find out what transmission I have. I know it's a Cat engine with an Allison tranny. We have exactly NO records on the service history. I'm planning on taking it to be serviced (at least an oil change and a transmission service) before a long road trip, planned for Labor Day weekend.

Help?

dbarton291

HeatAir - 8/17/2011 8:27 PM

Just found this forum and just bought a used 2006 Bounder. We went over it fairly well but have a silly question.

How do I find out what transmission I have. I know it's a Cat engine with an Allison tranny. We have exactly NO records on the service history. I'm planning on taking it to be serviced (at least an oil change and a transmission service) before a long road trip, planned for Labor Day weekend.

Help?
On the right side of the transmission case there's a name plate. It should have what you need. Some of the later units only have a serial number. If it begins with 065, it's a 3000 series, or an MD transmission. If it begins with 063, it's most likely a 2000 series transmission, 066, it's a 4000 series transmission.

CC83

question for allison expert or anyone who might know

can a newer 4000 series electronic transmission be used with a older mechanical 855 cummins

if so what is required?

raynorshine

Wise one....
I have a M35A3 ex military 6x6 which I am trying to figure out how to civilly drive. It has a CAT 3116 followed by an 4 speed Allision 1540P (545 with a TC) and a divorced transfer case. These trucks are remanufactured version of the M35 made in from the 1950s thu the 1980s and use the same rear ends, bodies etc. The old versions topped out at 60-65 using a much less powerful multifuel engine and a manual Spicer 5 speed transmission. The M35A3 red lines at 2700 rpm at just over 55 miles per hour and can be "economically" driven at 50 mph,. It gets to this speed faster than its predecessor thanks to its power and short shifting. I would like to improve on the performance so highway speeds are achievable. I suspect most of the other 3000-5000 buyers of these retiring trucks would also like to get to the mud holes where these trucks belong quicker.
My research has indicated there are a couple of options, the simplest being the installation of an overdrive gear splitter such as the Michell 3000. Unfortunately no one now seems to make one anymore and they are not something wreckers are likely to identify and stock. The second option seems to be to replace the transmission with one with overdrive and/or additional gears. The selection is somewhat limited by the mating requirements for the CAT and a rather short housing requirement (1540P is 31"). Another complicating factor is that these trucks are 24 VDC and largely not computerized due to the advantages this provides in dirty field conditions/ From what I can see of newer Allision transmissions, most or all require some sort of computer interface in order to know what to do. 2000 series transmissions such as the 2100 HRS seem to have the 26000 GVW capacity required and are only 28" long, but I suspect they will remain standing at the gate unless a computer tells them to start.
Can you suggest a transmission which might provide the capacities I am interested in that can be found on the used market (eg out of an RV or school bus) and or other options?

Thanks
Bruce

raynorshine

It was suggested to me elsewhere that a MT643 will help with the problem, but this is still a 4 speed and I suspect will still top out at too low of a speed.
Thanks
Bruce

03Renegade

Looking to get some thoughts on a vibration problem. I have a 2003 Renegade with a Cat c12 and allison HD4060. Bought it used with 45,000 miles put on about 10,000 miles on it. It has a vibration or growling noise coming from the transmission area. I notice it more in 3rd gear and up or when pulling a trailer. The transmission has been serviced with transynd shifts with no problems. The truck has been gone through to check motor mounts, drive shafts, rearend and ride height with no problems. I was recommended to replace the damper inside the torque converter. Can broken damper springs cause this condition?

dbarton291

CC83;73691 said:
question for allison expert or anyone who might know

can a newer 4000 series electronic transmission be used with a older mechanical 855 cummins

if so what is required?
Yes it can. You have to get the right torque converter, the right adaptation hardware to mate it to the engine, and set up a throttle position sensor so the trans knows how to modulate its shifts. It is expensive, but it can be done.