alternative propane heater

rddog8691

I was at Harbor Freight today and they have a vent free propane heater the type you would mount on a wall in your house, says it will heat up to 300 sqf. Do you think this would work in a class a motorhome to supplement the furnace heat. Also would it be safe to use this without any windows open. I though the meaning of vent free or ventless meant it would be safe. Any info or opinions. :)

TexasClodhopper

Re: alternative propane heater

I don't know how safe they are but some people at this site have some good questions.

Other than it can use all the oxygen up in a small room for combustion, could release CO and does increase humidity, they do seem to warm the air in the room. :clown:

cdude

RE: alternative propane heater

John, I have no experience with this product, but found what seems to be the same product on the web at

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200307979_200307979.

There are 12 Northern Tool customer product reviews at this site and overall they seem to be favorable. Unit has an O2 sensor which shuts-off when O2 gets too low. One review did not vote for wall mount if you want heat at floor level.

For what it is worth.

rddog8691

cdude, i checked the northern tool site and that is the same type of unit and now that you mention it the one at harbor freight did have an o2 sensor that shuts it down. I am just discuraged with the furnace in my rv and thought i would try to supplement it i do alot of boondocking so it has to be propane.If it was only me in the rv i would buy one of these units but with my two kids sleeping in there i worry.

Pancanbob

Hi, John
Just a thought :) ; CO is a heavy gas :eek: , and would settle to the floor then build up :dead: .
If the O2 sensor is in the heater and it is mounted on the wall higher then your head.
You may not have enough Oxygen, and the Heater’s sensor would not know it :dead: :dead: :dead: .
Maybe the heat rising would mix up the air so this would not happen, but I don’t know :8ball: :8ball: .
AS the “Texas Clodhopper” said, it will “use the oxygen” :approve: :approve: , and because it is cold all the windows and vents will be closed. The combustion by-product has nowhere to go, i.e.-CO and water :angry: :angry: :angry: . The water will condense on your windows :( . For myself, I would be very leery any “combustion heater” that was not vented to the out side. :( :blush: :angry: :) :eek: ;) (JMO)

What I would question is WHY? :question: :question: :question: :question:
This item is not for sale in the state of California. Customers are responsible for checking local codes and regulations prior to purchase.
Good luck
:clown: :bleh: :cool: :laugh: ;) :shy: :shy:

cdude

John, I understand your concern. If one of them is the level of CO, might a good working CO sensor offer some comfort:question: Some of the houses heated as per the comment section seem to be okay but these might be older houses that are rather drafty, i.e. not air-tight. The search words 'vent free propane heater' provided a couple of other sites offering larger heaters but there were no available customer comments.

Good luck!

TexasClodhopper

John, of course it's your call, but as always "Be Safe, Not Sorry!"

Don't forget that you are as important to your kids as your kids are important to you. ;)

rddog8691

Guys i really apreciate all your input, let me ask you all this question how about a heater like this that needs to be vented. Would it be possible to find a good spot on one of the rv wall to mount this and cut throught the wall to vent it.

Pancanbob

Hi, John :) :)
Instead of putting in another heater, have you looked “lessening you heat lost”? ;) ;)
Putting insulation on your windows, a few rugs on the floor, stuff like that may help :laugh: :laugh: more then adding a heater.

Look into replacing the existing heater with a bigger one. :approve: :approve:

It is hard to say what you can do as far as instilling another heater, we don’t know what type RV you have. :question: :question:

But remember it will have to have propane, DC supply and a thermostat, if you can talk to your manufacturer, and ask them. :approve: :approve: :bleh:
As Tex said, your kid are the most important thing. :blush: :blush:

Good luck
:8ball: :clown: :question: :dead: :blackeye: :approve: :bleh: :) ;) :laugh: