Am I making a mistake?

GlenSpey1

Hey everybody. I've been doing a ton of research into fulltiming but I am also NEW to RVing. I want to purchase a 5th wheel since they seem the roomiest for full timing and I really do plan on living in this thing for the rest of my life. However, I have NEVER backed up ANY kind of trailer in my life and will be traveling solo.

Is backing up a trailer something that can be easily learned and will I be able to do it by myself or is this a pipe dream. Should I change my sites to an A or C class, as I know how to handle large box trucks? Any and all advice will be much appreciated! Thanks everyone!

C Nash

Re: Am I making a mistake?

Gary welcome to the forum. Backing the trailer will just take practice. Go to a big vacant lot and just start practicing and you will master it in no time. if you ar solo camping try to get pull thrus or really get out and ck the site before backing in. Known where all things or that are just waiting to rip your new rv. Generally another rver will be glad to watch for you. Really need a second set of eyes helping. I like the class A but each has advantages. Just a personal preference. hang arounf the forum. I'm sure you will have plenty of advice to offer

TexasClodhopper

Learning how to back up a 5ver will be the least of the things you need to learn about RVing full time.

Since you will be full timing, you will probably be happier with a trailer and truck combo of some kind rather than with a motorhome and towed vehicle combo.

GlenSpey1

Thanks to both C Nash and Texas Clodhopper! I'm really leaning toward a 5th wheel and Ford F450 and am afraid I'd be disapointed with anything less. I guess I'll keep researching and learning and hanging around this forum. Everyone seems very helpfull. Thanks again!

jack g

Glen

When backing a trailer place you hand on the bottom of the steering wheel. Turn the steering in the direction you want the back of the trailer to go. Remember to back up a little get out and look than back up an little more, keep doing this until you are in. Also use pull ups. If trailer isn't going where you want it to go pull forward a little and back up again. This will all becom natural after a while. Think safety and have fun.

Jack

Kirk

Some people find it very easy to learn to back and others never learn. It just depends upon you.

rjf7g

Gary-
If you are any where near Virginia, I recommend you make an appointment with Grandview Trailer Sales (on the forum) to see what is in stock and even get a demo of what it will take to hook up, back up, and unhook a fifth wheel. Ken is a great dealer to have on your side!

GlenSpey1

Thanks JackG, thats what I've been told, I guess I'll find out once I get started! rjf7g, unfortunately I'm in FL so VA is alittle out of the way, but Thanks!

alapataws

I agree with C Nash, go to a big open lot and just practice. I learned backing-up boat trailers this way when I was a boy. Sure makes it easier to have an area without wirry to learn. You will have it no time...