amp's

shyhunter

I just bought a 26 ft Tahiti and was wondering when camping does it matter if i hook up to 30 amp or 50 amp for my size camper?

H2H1

Re: amp's

hey skyhunter the end of the cable will tell you what size amp cable you have. If it is 3 prone it a 30 amp 4 it a 50amp. Your camper was built and sized as to what amperage you will need. You can over load it by changing the plug and do a lot of damage to the electrical system

G

Re: amp's

but one other thing ,, what yr is it ?? alot of the older towables ,, were 20 amp ,, but once u try u'r plug ,, u will find out real fast ,, i am not being a smart a-- or anything ,, just be carefull :approve: :approve: :approve:

Tnsledder

RE: amp's

I read H2H1's reply, that is true to some extent. But you can buy a 50 amp to 30 adapter. Most of your campers that require 50 Amps usually have (2) HVAC Units and /or Washer and dryers.

The biggest thing you have to worry about is the "voltage" you put into your camper. The amps that are available will cause no damage. Example: You plug a table lamp into a wall outlet, which pulls 1-2 amps, but you can plug a iron into that same outlet and it pulls 10 amps. Your light bulb in that table lamp needed only 20% of the power needed to run that iron. But it was plugged into the same outlet. It is the combination of voltage and amps, not the amps alone that will destroy your system. Breakers are sized and designed to protect your wiring and the equipment that are dedicated to that circuit.

So supplying 50 amps to your 30 amp system won't cause any problems. Just as long as you have only 120 volts going into your system.

Just some friendly knowledge.

G

RE: amp's

yea,, but 50 amps is not totallly 120 volts ,, u actually have 240 volts going in ,, and then split ,, to 2 legs of of 120 volts ,, but on most older towables ,, they only had 20 amp service ,, and since the OP did not say what yr ,, it is hard to say what plug he had ,,, i know that my MH WAS 30 amp ,, but nw 50 amp ,, and the other 120 volts is only to run the second a/c unit ,, which i was not able to do ,, till i did the update ,, myself ,, ;) :approve: :) :)