Analog to digital TV

Discussion in 'Beginning RVing' started by ram1z, Sep 2, 2008.

1. ram1z

ram1z New Member

With the changes in TV signal planned for next year, how will that effect the RV community? I have the bat wing antenna and a flat screen tv 12v. I prefer all my appliances to run on 12v so that when dry camping I'm not running the generator. So as I see it, I have 3 options
    -Use a 110v digital converter and plug it into an inverter to get it to work- how much juice will this drain from the batteries?
    -install satellite
    -find a 12v converter - this is my preference- any suggestions?
  2. Grandview Trailer Sa

Grandview Trailer Sa Senior Member

Re: Analog to digital TV

If your flat screen is digital, you don't have to do a thing. Your antenna on the roof will receive digital signals. If your TV is not (and I think all flat screens are) digital, you will need a converter.
  3. ironart

ironart New Member

Wineguard makes a TV converter box that works on 9 volts. You can reduce your 12 VDC to 9 VDC (Not too complicated) or you can use the 9 volt battery pack they sell with the unit. I'm not sure what would happen if you fed the 9 volt system with 12 volts......No Smoke, I hope.. :eek: :eek:
  4. WILLY3328

WILLY3328 New Member

I researched quite a bit before I found a 12 vdc converter box. The Zentech DF2000 just came out about a month ago. I bought 2 for the RV with my coupons and they work just fine on the 12 vdc from the motorhome converter. I even tried one using a 6amp hour 12vdc gel cell battery along with a 5" 12vdc TV. The spec calls for 12vdc @ 1 amp but I measured the current and it only draws about 1/2 amp (500ma).

Here's a link to the manufacturer and also to the on-line company that I bought them from. Was unable to find one in any of the big stores (Best But, Wally, Circuit City, etc.) but there are about 3 other on-line companies selling them.

Good Luck