Another Battery Question

akjimny

I've been going thru the rig, doing routine maintenance stuff. While doing, I had the shore power disconnected. Didn't want any unexpected sparks should I accidently cross some wires somewhere.

Anyway - hooked the shore power back up yesterday afternoon and the coach battery started giving off some strong sulfur fumes. Checked the converter/charger output and it was 13.75 volts - which seems about right for charging up a 12 volt battery. Also the battery was warm to the touch. Not uncomfortably hot, but warm.

Am I worrying too much? I'm getting ready to change over to two 6v golf cart batteries as recommended in everyone's previous answers - thanks! - as soon as I do some modifications to the battery box.

Triple E

Re: Another Battery Question

Did you remove the cables from the battery while doing your cleaning? If so, did you replace the cables back as they where? If you are not sure, find the cable that is bolted to the frame and verify that it is connected to the (-) negative terminal on the battery. Your battery should not be giving off a smell. A battery could get warm if it is low and when you plug in to shore power the battery is taking a heavy charge. Good luck.

:8ball:

C Nash

Did you ck the water level in the batt? Sounds as though you may have a sulfated batt

akjimny

Truthfully - No. It does have a semi-clear case and I can see the water level and, from the outside, it appears to be OK.

The blinkedy-blank engineer who designed the battery box obviously never had to service a battery. There is a 1/2 inch lip at the front that you have to pull the batttery over, and no place to put it (unless you have a milk crate or something) after you get it out. You cannot check the water level with the batts in the compartment. That's my next project - a fold down shelf to slide the batts out on to.

C Nash

Use something that you can stick down in the top such as a match stick to see the level in all cells. Use a different match for each. Dont strick it :eek: batteries will explode. The water or acid level should at least cover the top of the cells or nearly to the top. Fill with only distilled water. How old is the batt?