Another Newbie: I'm considering an RV...how do they handle on the rode

arkansasmiss

I've seen postings on various sites about some being hard to handle that it has put me off on purchasing one. Goodness knows I don't want to tip over. Also how about weight placement to stop tipping....LOL! Thanks

msjackie

Re: Another Newbie: I'm considering an RV...how do they handle on the rode

If you can drive a big car or pickup, then you can drive a RV. Just remember to balance to weight and do not go over the CCC listed. Balance the weight evenly and should be no problem.

rjf7g

Arkansasmiss-
Welcome to the forum. I have a 27' class C. I also have a 23' boat that I pull with a Dodge Durango. Both require me to slow down and think a little more strategically, but I have no porblems driving either. Balancing your load and making sure your camper is safe are key!

Domingo

Welcome to the site. I have a Holiday Rambler class A 36' . I have never driven one in my life. It was a little getting used to, but I was able to drive this thing like a pro. Had to get confortable with the lenght. My wife tells me I drive this thing better then my regular car. It was a little hard backing and paralel parking but again once you do it once. Always remember safety and remember to slow down and never drive in a hurry. Never drive longer then what you can handle. Most important invest in a road service program. I love Good Sams Club.

Domingo

Forgot to mention it drives smooth. I have to check my speed to make sure I am not over driving I tend to forget what I am driving sincce it is so easy to drive..

G

yep ,, the longer and bigger the coach ,, the easyer it is to drive ,,, but u have the length to tend with ,,, i have a 40fter ,, and looking into getting a 45 fter ,, so ,, i guess i will learn all over agian ,,, but then agian ,, no diff than driving a 53 ft ladder truck for the FD ,, and in a hurry :eek: :eek: :laugh: :laugh:

brodavid

730 you are always in a hurry (to get to the beach)

G

who me ???? :blackeye: ,, yep and why do u think i drive the ladder truck ,, i can runnthe lights and siren ,, and get ther faster :laugh: :laugh:

vanole

I agree with all that is posted. They are not hard to drive just give yourself some extra room. Braking is a bit different you have alot more weight rolling down the street. If you go the diesel route the Pac or Jake brake is your friend. Present coach has a two stage Jake and it and I have become one. Toughest thing I have to deal with in my opinion is no rear view mirror. I don't trust the back up camera and always use a spotter. Couple tips I read somewhere (forget the source) if making a left turn and there is two turn lanes get in the right most one. Just the opposite for right turns get in the left most ones. Remember your tail swing. Domingo is spot on be safe... Many folks just don't want to be behind and RV and see you coming and pull out in front of you anyways.

V/R
Jeff

arkansasmiss

Thank you everyone for your tips. I'll keep all this in mind.

Janet