Another One Bites the Dust

DL Rupper

I just found out NUWA the manufacturer of the HitchHiker has suspended production due to slow sales. What's next? I guess the slow economy will help those of us that don't like to make reservations in advance. However, lately I have been to more and more RV parks that are 75% filled with what I call permanent RV residents. They live full time in their RV, but it never leaves the park and they should not be confused with "on the road" full-timers. At the price of staying in some of the RV Parks lately I would think it would be cheaper for the permanent residents to rent an apt. :eek:

C Nash

Re: Another One Bites the Dust

I agree DL. We have noticed that even state parks here are allowing extended stays. I guess a lot might be construction workers but even with monthly rates it's still high. We really have to hunt bargins now and their getting harder to find.

rjf7g

I guess it depends on where you are and how the monthly/seasonal rates compare to apartment rent. At the campground down the road from my house, you can rent a monthly site with full hook ups for $469 a month with water, sewer, and 30 A electric. You can get a studio apartment with no utilities for about $300 more. I will pay $1700 for the 2009 season - April 1 to November 1 at Smith Mountain Lake. That's less than $250/month.

TexasClodhopper

You also have to remember that most are paying a mortgage on their RV, too. So, the economics of it all doesn't work if one is only trying to save on apartment rent.

However, if one has to be mobile for purposes of following jobs from location to location, this 'semi-permanent' residency makes some economic sense.

There are also many 'downsizing' reasons why people are doing this more. Some of these reasons are related to the higher divorce statistics now-a-days, also, due to partners separating, etc.

DL Rupper

Sounds good to me Tex. I'm sure if you are in construction or related work, being mobile with an RV really helps. It depends on where you are located as to the condition of the permanent residents RV's too. We stayed last week in Safford, AZ and with a casual glance the RV Park looked ok as it was only 1 year old. We stayed there due to a good review in RVparkreviews and boy was the review off the mark (probably the owner). The trailers were really junked up with stuff stored underneath, around and on the RV's to include 4 to 6 foot high permanent dog runs.

We were walking around the park during the evening and 5 miniature pinschers got loose and tried to bite us. Fortunately their mouths were to small to do more than nip and scare my wife or we might not be here today. I controlled myself and only booted them lightly as I wasn't sure how big the husband was. The lady outside with the dogs was at least 350 lbs and couldn't control the little terrors at all (she couldn't move fast enough). 5 dogs at 1 site was a little much. I guess from looking at the number of RV's in the park, that it would soon go bust without the younger working residents. Most of them were blue collar mine workers, roughnecks and such.

I don't mind the permanent residents if the campground rules on neatness and dogs are adhered to, although it still makes finding sites a little harder if you don't call ahead. I like the nomadic life style of just showing up where I decide at the last minute to go and really hate to make reservations. Staying for a month or more requires reservations during the winter snowbird season and summer vacation time. I suppose that is why I like spring and fall RVing the best. :)

bpe

I'm in construction and apt. costs us between $700-1000.00 all up and down the Gulf of Mexico and they want a 6-12 month lease also. Rving economics sound rather good to me.

DL Rupper

Hey bpe, welcome to the forum. The RV parks are getting pricey now and can range from $250 to $1000/month depending on if you are in a prime vacation resort area or just out in the middle of nowhere. However, you don't need to sign a lease and you can probably get a good deal on a RV right now. If you have a 3/4 or 1 ton pickup you can be a mobile constuction worker and have a good RV to live in fairly inexpensively. :)

bpe

I'd just be looking for a place to park it with hookups. I'll be working 6 and 7 days a week 10+ hours a day. My wife travels with me. On our time off, we might look some prime vacation resorts but not for working. I'm looking used to avoid the depreciation. Save money too. Thanks and God bless.