another scam

C Nash

received a letter in the mail today with a 46k chashier check inclosed. Normally I just trash these things but decided I would check into this one. I did not respond to any on the letter but did a goggle on the bank it was drawn on and came up with the following.

TO: CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER (also of interest to Security Officer)
SUBJECT: Counterfeit Cashier's Checks
Summary: Counterfeit cashier's checks bearing the name The Farmers State Bank, Quinton, Oklahoma, are reportedly in circulation.

The Farmers State Bank, Quinton, Oklahoma, has contacted the Federal Deposit Insurance
Corporation (FDIC) to report that counterfeit cashier's checks bearing the institution's name are in
circulation.

The counterfeit items display the routing number 103104874, which is assigned to The Farmers State
Bank. Embedded in the top border of the items is the following security wording: "THIS DOCUMENT
HAS A COLORED BACKGROUND AND MICROPRINTING. THE REVERSE SIDE INCLUDES AN ARTIFICIAL
WATERMARK." Located in the upper-left corner is an oval "FSB" logo and the bank's name italicized in
solid lettering directly below the logo. The counterfeit items are cream and brown in color.

Authentic cashier's checks display security statements embedded in both the top and bottom borders
and are printed on blue check stock. The circular "FSB" logo is located in the upper-left corner.
Directly below the logo is the bank's name printed in italicized font, each letter having a dark outline and
an unfilled center.

Copies of a counterfeit item and an authentic check (VOID) are attached for your review. Be aware
that the appearance of counterfeit items can be modified and that additional variations may be
presented.

Any information you have concerning this matter should be brought to the attention of:

I have sent the bank an e-mail to see if there is anyone I can forward the letter and chashier to. Can't believe anyone would fall for thes things but guess they do or they wouldn't be sending them.

TexasClodhopper

Re: another scam

Other than the possible fraud to the bank, the holder shouldn't get harmed just trying to deposit a check.

Now what CAN happen is what happens quite frequently in the oil/gas/mineral royalty business here in Texas. A company interested in obtaining the rights will send a check for a certain dollar amount (normally much lower than its value, but a substantial sum) with a short document that transfers the rights owned when you cash the check.

Now, if this fraudulent check was accompanied by some other documents there might be some problems. A person receiving might sign off on the rights to something thinking that they are getting a good check for those rights. By the time the check bounces, their rights have been compromised.

As C Nash says, be careful!