Another town bans overnight parking....

Kirk

From the RV News Service:

Indiana town proposes ban on RV and truck parking
By Staff Report | May 24, 2009 - 4:47 pm - Posted in Uncategorized

The city council of Hobart, Indiana has passed the first vote of a proposal to prohibit trucks and RVs from parking in city parking lots. Violators could be fined up to $2,500.

Hobart is s 38 miles from Chicago, Illinois and 151 miles from Indianapolis, Indiana, near three major highways; I-65 to the west, I80/94 to the north, and U.S. route 30 to the south.

The proposal was approved on a 5-2 vote and is aimed at truck drivers who in recent months have turned parking lots along U.S. 30 into de facto truck stops. “Councilman Jerry Herzog said he’s received a number of complaints from residents about the growing number of trucks and RVs that make overnight stops in the parked overnight stops in Hobart’s largest retail district,” wrote reporter Karen Snelling in the Post-Tribune.

At-large Councilwoman Monica Wiley told Snelling she voted against the ordinance because it was unnecessary and flies in the face of Hobart as “the friendly city.”

The final vote on the parking ban is expected to come June 3. If you would like to weigh in, you can email:

Karen Snelling, Post-Tribune Staff Writer, ksnelling@post-trib.com
Hobart Mayor Brian Snedecor, mayorsnedecor@city.hobart.in.us

C Nash

Re: Another town bans overnight parking....

Guess Indiana is mad because the rv business is closing down there. :( Seems as though the towns would welcome rvers spending money there and thank the truck drivers for hauling the things they need. Better them parked and resting than driving till falling asleep and killing someone. Wake up Hobert Indiana.

WildWillyToo

And on the other hand......

Suppose you're the one living next to that parking lot. Truck drivers tend to leave their rigs running...sometimes for air conditioners and sometimes for heat. You want the drone of 10 ideling big rigs in your ear all night??
So, you're gonna say that rv'rs don't do that....welllllll????? What about generators? Anyways...it's not right to ban just one type of vehicle, so the obvious solution is to ban overnight parking for all vehicles.

Now I don't live there, so have no way of knowing how close they are to a residential area, but if it was near my house, I'd vote for the ban and I bet most of you would too!

SnowbirdInFlight

CamperTech - 5/28/2009 1:18 PM And on the other hand...... Suppose you're the one living next to that parking lot. Truck drivers tend to leave their rigs running...sometimes for air conditioners and sometimes for heat. You want the drone of 10 ideling big rigs in your ear all night?? So, you're gonna say that rv'rs don't do that....welllllll????? What about generators? Anyways...it's not right to ban just one type of vehicle, so the obvious solution is to ban overnight parking for all vehicles. Now I don't live there, so have no way of knowing how close they are to a residential area, but if it was near my house, I'd vote for the ban and I bet most of you would too!

ITA CamperTech. I sure wouldn't want all those trucks near my house with their idling motors and smelly engines. But, yeah, if they ban one they should ban all. There is always two sides to every story.

C Nash

I assumed it was in a business district but yep I know when you assume you make a you know what :laugh: I would have no problem with the rule in a residentual area.

Domingo

We had a similar problem where Truckers where parking in residential areas.

Domingo

We had a similar problem where Truckers where parking in residential areas.

brodavid

What happens when the truck pulls up a little early for a drop shipment and the business is not open yet. Going to get a $ fine $ for just doing his job and taking a quick nap. People need to wake up, too many trucks and RVers going thru towns to have them to just go around because they can not park for awhile. I agree with Nash, would like them to stop for awile then get kill on the road.

WildWillyToo

I don't think there was any mention of short term parking. The issue was overnight parking. And, I don't disagree that they need a place to sleep....that's what highway rest areas & truck stops are for.
Anyways, as with all rules and regulations, the wording is everything!

BTW I'm not anti-truck or RV. Heck, I make my living off of rv's. I do, however, look at the big picture when it comes to issues like this. There are several sides to these matters and no one side is necessarily right or wrong!

honorman

I just sent this email to the mayor, at mayorsnedecor@city.hobart.in.us and newpaper at ksnelling@post-trib.com
I think they should have our input before hurting us and themselfs. they know where rvers park and can decide for themself if it is what they want or not.
But a lot of these city fathers don't think before voting, I just want to let them know what they may NOT get if this is in the business dist.

I think this overnight parking ban on rvs is a very bad idea, Rvers spent a lot of money in a friendly town, but where overnight parking of rvs passing though is banned ,we just drive on and fill our big gas tanks and food items from the nicer towns. we only get 8 miles to the gal. so any time we can save we do.
A lot of other towns will like our money.
Thanks Ed
Heber Springs Arkansas :eek:

jack g

camprtec, I'm an x truck driver and thought you could use some information, there are not enough truck stops or parking places to hold the number of trucks on the road each day, therefore trucks park where they feel they can safely sleep. Rest areas are for everyone. I do get comfort knowing that you park your rv ONLY in rv parks because I don't have to worry about you being in the place I might decide to stop my rv one night.

r