Antenna reception

Discussion in 'General RVing' started by toyzrus, Aug 28, 2012.

1. toyzrus

toyzrus Junior Member

Hi new here, I have and older fifth wheel and I changed the antenna head to the winegard w/wingman and a digital tv, reception has alot to be desired, I can get two channels here at home from a city 35 miles away, went to Glouchester Mass. couldn't receive anything being only 50 miles from Boston, and at a few other campgrounds maybe 1 or nothing at all. Is there a booster or something to use to receive just a few channels not looking for SAT. reception. This is driving me nuts. :confused:
  2. JimE

JimE Senior Member

Does your unit have a booster switch for the TV? Mine have all been Class A's but had a booster switch either on the dash or on a switch plate over the dash.
  3. toyzrus

toyzrus Junior Member

No just a switch to go from cable to antenna and when it is on antenna a little red light comes on.
  4. Grandview Trailer Sa

Grandview Trailer Sa Senior Member

That light tells us you do have a booster....when your light is on, your are sending a boost to your antenna. Digital signals vary where ever you are....let me ask...are scanning your TV when you move it? If not, you have to.
  5. toyzrus

toyzrus Junior Member

Yes I do put it on channel scan. So I am guessing there is nothing else I can do? Well I guess up here in upstate NY you can't expect much. How good are these signal finders that camping world sells? they have a meter on them which I imagin tells you if there is a signal out there. Is there anywhere on the net that sells them?
  6. akjimny

akjimny Senior Member

Hi Toyzrus and welcome to the RVUSA Forum. I have the same setup that you do and experience the same problem. If the antenna isn't pointed spot-on the broadcasting station, the digital TV won't find the signal, even with a booster. I have to rotate the antenna a bit, then have the TV rescan for channels. Eventually I either get a channel (or two) or I give up a pop in a dvd.

I am considering going to satellite TV but I'm not sure if it will work any better up here in Alaska.
  7. toyzrus

toyzrus Junior Member

Heard something on tv last night that you can download direct tv to your laptop if this is true it will be a less expensive way to go. I don't want to go the satellite route with a dish, we may only use it 5 or 6 times a season so the cost would be like throwing money away. If I find out something on this download deal I will post it. look here
    what do you think?